Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Document scanning software

Options
  • 23-01-2008 11:53am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 351 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm at a bit of a loose end at work and was thinking about writing some document scanning software from scratch. The language is irrelevent (I can do most of the common languages, Java, C++, VB, VB.Net, C#) and I'm not interested in adapting someone elses code. What I'm really looking for is some sort of tutorial for working with Twain drivers. I've tried googling the subject but seem to only get endless lists of other peoples ActiveX controls. Does anyone know what libraries I should be looking at (or even better a URL to a good tutorial on the subject)?

Regards,
    -RD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ianhobo

Have you got the twian development kit yet?
    you can it from www.twain.org or from here
    You can get twain.h from the second link there too

Also the twain.org FAQ seems to have a lot of info....

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Collumbo

First of all you will definitely need to buy libraries if they are to be of any use.

I've written a few customised scanning apps which use both Twain and ISIS drivers. If you can afford the scanner and the ISIS drivers, then my advice is to stick with ISIS... you will save yourself great pains as all the configuration files are handled by ISIS drivers and you never need to know what they look like. If you choose Twain, you need to code the config files yourself which takes a bit of design thought. You will also probably end up writing your own configuration screen, and loading each setting manually though code. That equates to a pain in the ar$€! If you only have a limited budget for a new scanner, then Twain will be your only option as an ISIS scanner will be more expensive (canon might do one for around €1000). Don't be put off just because it "only does 30 pages per minute"... reliability should be your main concern. I've seen top of the range Kodaks operating at 140ppm and they get their knickers in a twist if the paper is crinkled!

Regarding libraries, try Pegasus Imaging (http://www.pegasusimaging.com/) for a start.... you can download trial editions which work perfectly (it's called ImagXpress). The catch is that you only have Twain capability included, but it comes with a nice Image Viewer (for Tifs). There is a popup that will keep appearing in the trial edition. It is quite expensive. Then if you want ISIS drivers from Pegasus, it's around $2.500 for development and product licensing... so make sure it is worth your while writing this stuff in the first place. There are other companies then sell such tools and APIs but I have only used Pegasus. I have deployed the software in a few places and once you get your head around their products (it takes a while to get the hang of them), they are fine. I developed the apps in VB.net but now I generally use C#... makes no difference really what you use.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Collumbo

Forgot to say that if you need examples, ImagXpress actually comes with a sample VB.net and C# app on how to code Twain capabilities. That is probably the closest thing to what you were asking for.

Advertisement