Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soft drinks/minerals [moved from AH]

Options
  • 23-01-2008 2:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know why soft drinks are sometimes called minerals?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,726 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Good question: I always called it soda.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some cross-over from mineral water?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Because there are coal and emeralds in it. That is why it is so expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Firetrap wrote: »

Because they use mineral water to make them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I always have (and still do) called them minerals, quite confusing to Americans. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

The only person I have ever heard call them minerals was my mum, I just assumed it was an English thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

It tends to be older people who call them that. When my parents were going out in the sixties, there used to be mineral bars in the dancehalls. An oxymoron I know - mineral bar. I'm not sure it's because of mineral water though - did people really make a big deal of that thirty or forty years ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I fear I'm not going to get an answer to this. This particular section of Boards is very quiet :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It is quiet, but those who post tend to really know their stuff. Give it time! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Firetrap wrote: »

As others have said, basically is a shorter version of Mineral Water.

"Mineral Water Distributors" (or "MiWadi") was an eatly Irish soft drink company, later became Cantrell & Cochrane or "C&C"...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

As others have said, basically is a shorter version of Mineral Water.

"Mineral Water Distributors" (or "MiWadi") was an eatly Irish soft drink company, later became Cantrell & Cochrane or "C&C"...

is that where the name comes from? thanks for that, I love those bits of information

(bisto comes from a Browns Seasons Thickens in One, reorganised, obviously :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

agree with the Miwadi bit - makes sense

oh and I still call them Minerals even to my housemates who are "blow in's" to here

Tayto's are tayto's just as Minerals will forever be Minerals as far as I'm concerned

and while I'm at it stop calling all orange minerals fanta!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

pawrick wrote: »
    Tayto's are tayto's

Surely you mean Taytos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Why do culchies people from outside Dublin insist on calling every type of crisp Taytos?

"Can I have a packet of King Taytos please"

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

It's like when people say Dunnes Coke, or Virgin Coke (remember that?).

It's only Coke when it's Coca Cola. Otherwise it's Cola.

And to stay on tiopic I'd consider Coke to be a mineral by the way. I rarely use the term Soft Drink, and never Soda. Although I occasionally use the term Fizzy Drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Ok so.

Can I have a package of King Tayto, a bottle of club fanta, and a pepsi coke please.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I've always called 'em "pop", but I get slagged about it.

*cries*

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

I'd imagine it is due to its mineral water content...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭UU

Yeah I've always called them minerals always wondered why people in Ireland call them that. The Americas call it soda (pop) lol. But soda here could be washing soda or baking soda. Btw I didn't know the name MiWada came from Mineral Water even though MiWada isn't a mineral but a cordial! ;)

Advertisement