Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning to swim for first time

Options
  • 22-01-2008 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hey
    Im 25 and cant swim.... I know it's not that unusual but I think it's time I should do something about it.
    Ive just started going to a new gym - with a pool and Im looking into the lessons.
    My biggest problem is my fear - of what? I dont know. I just cant seem to relax in the water - or float - the two are probably linked.
    friends/boyfriends have often tried to teach me but give up as I seem like a hopeless case!
    My question is should I go for one to one training or group training?
    If I went to a beginners class do they spend time helping you overcome your fear first? And if so, how do they do that?
    I got lessons (two before pool shut down) when I was 8 and my memory from that is the teacher screaming at me to relax and open my eyes....think that has put me off!!!
    Anyway, sorry for the long rant - but any help or advise would be appreciated on the beginning steps of it!
    I think once i get over the fear, I will enjoy it.
    Thanks again
    S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Clseeper

You not are alone. The hardest thing for adults learning to swim is getting comfortable/confident in the water. If the class sizes are small then the group lessons would be fine. Having people of similar level and just the social size of it can make it less of a core. If you’re really nervous you could get one or two individual lessons to start. Just make sure you get a good teacher/coach, someone you are comfortable with and who has a good bit of experience.

Go for it, after you overcome your fear the progression will be very quick. Depending on the person, you could be doing lengths are 6-8 lessons or even earlier.

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Be patient.
    Getting used to having your face wet, and holding your breath, might sound simple, and to a child they are, but for an Adult to change something that has become so subconscious is a slower process. Go into a pool with a good friend that can swim during a public session. Spend some time just walking around, getting used to balancing, splash around and wet your face, try looking under water, and practice holding your breath. If you are at the stage that you can walk across the pool and put your face in the water (while holding on to the wall/bar) before you go into lessons, it will make the whole process easier and cheaper for you. If you go straight into group lessons, it may take two weeks to get you to the stage where you can do that. If you do go in, make sure you mention it to the lifeguard on duty, that'll ensure that they keep an eye on you, they may even give some helpful advice :D
    Its well worth the time and effort it will take, but take your time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

Im in the same place. Im 25 and can't swim. Iv got my first lesson on thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 sharkgirl

Oh best of luck!! Let me know how you get on and how scary it is :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Hi, I'm 38 and just learned to swim over the course of the last few months. There were older people than me learning and we all found it great! One thing to be aware of though is the temptation to quit after a few lessons because you feel you will never get it right. The classes dwindled big time over the course of my lessons.

Well worth it although I'll never swim the channel!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 amontillado

Oh, thank God there are other people in the same boat! I'm 24..

I really want to learn but there are a few things to get over first. I was thinking about visiting a pool during open sessions once or twice, just to get used to the set-up.

There's a lot of great advice on this forum, but I hope nobody will mind if I ask even more silly questions ;)

Oh, thank God there are other people in the same boat! I'm 24..

I really want to learn but there are a few things to get over first. I was thinking about visiting a pool during open sessions once or twice, just to get used to the set-up.

There's a lot of great advice on this forum, but I hope nobody will mind if I ask even more silly questions ;)

Ask all the questions you like. I still am :).
    I think its a good idea to go to an open session or two.

As I said in one of my earlier posts, dont give up if it starts to feel like its too much. I often felt like that, particularly at the breaststroke. Its amazing what you can pick up by looking at other people too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I'm another one!
    31 and never learned to swim properly. I've 'self taught' myself over the years. Ha! What a joke. Had my first lesson (private) the other night, and my God.. I've basically scrapped everything I've ever done before and gone back to square one.

My goal is to do the Liffey Swim.. but probably not this year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭muggyog

Angryhippie has given the best advice. Don't waste your money on lessons until you get over the fear of putting your face in the water/ gliding.

My mother was a fantastic swimmer and she always wanted me to swim however I was terrified of water. She organised lessons for me in the local pool and I used to hide at the the appointed time (I was 12!). For years I wouldent go into a swimming pool. When I was about 25, the job I worked had booked an evening session in a local pool. While the other lads/lassies bombed up and down I stood at the shallow end like a plonker. Eventually embarrassment forced me to attempt some facial contact with the water and I eventually managed to propel myself around using a panic influenced stroke. More recently I have been going to a local pool for a Lunchtime swim. Initially I was only able to do 3 to 4 lengths of front crawl without stopping. I now do 50/60 lengths continuously twice a week and I'm 50 next birthday. So it might take a little time but you can do it, take the word of a confirmed swimming phobic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 munster30

Have tried group lesssons twice but still getting nowhere. Find the problem is that as I soon as I feel I'm making progress the class chages from swimming on your front to your back, and all progress is lost. All i want to do is to be able to move in water, don't care if it's on my front or back, once I'm moving. Thinking of trying personal lessons if anybody can recommend anyone in Dublin.

• Advertisement

munster30 wrote: »
    Have tried group lesssons twice but still getting nowhere. Find the problem is that as I soon as I feel I'm making progress the class chages from swimming on your front to your back, and all progress is lost
    Its really important to do at least one practice session between the weekly lessons. Thats where it comes together. I hated the backstroke lessons and got really frustrated at myself during the lessons but a bit of practice without the pressure of people looking at you makes all the difference. Maybe the instructor might let you concentrate on the front crawl on your own while the rest of the class did the backstroke?

Advertisement