Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's being done about it?

Options
  • 22-01-2008 3:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭

I'll keep this short - having had reason to travel to Cavan Town this past few years, I've had to take the CARRICK-SHERCOCK-COOTEHILL route - I remember seeing markings on the roads last summer pre-election time basically asking what the politicians were doing about the potholes and deplorable condition of some of the roads...CARRICK TO SHERCOCK would put you scatty and SHERCOCK TO COOTEHILL would have you mumbling to yourself in the wee small hours...that's not to mention the comedy track from B'boro to Shercock....My point is, Is there anything being done about it... I mean, not everybody can take the long way round...ARDEE-KELLS-VIRGINIA-CAVAN...

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

People have been asking this question for years Kives. Years upon years. Being from Shercock, I must say almost all roads around the town are an absolute disgrace. Cootehill Road, Castleblayney Road (probably the worst), Canningstown Road, Carrickmacross Road, Ballybay Road... Bailieborough and Kingscourt Roads are probably the best out of that bad bunch and even at that they were more or less built for horses and carts.

It is about time that somebody did something about the state of these roads. I know there is one man in particular from Maudabawn who has very strong feelings about this. So much so that he went out and painted every single pothole and bump on the Cootehill - Shercock road and all of the roads around Cootehill.

He has even been in the national news this last couple of days for finding the biggest pothole in Ireland on the Cootehill - Shercock/Ballybay road. He has been campaigning for years about the state of our roads and he has had nothing but abuse from the councillors.

The funny thing is that the Cavan County Council Chairman is actually from Shercock and doesn't seem to be doing anything about it. Madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Aigh. But you also need to remember that we had the Tainiste from Cavan too when the roads were at their very, very worst.
    Irish politics is about getting favours for votes. It took the election of specific "roads councillors" in Cavan to shake up the feckers in power and get the back roads fixed.

Maybe for Shercock ye need a Jacky Healey Rae character to go as an independent on the the roads issue. Its working in Kerry!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

Maybe it is because of the bad weather at this time of year, but the roads around my area BJD have deteriorated quite badly recently - I would do a lot of cycling locally and the state of the roads are even more noticable.

Advertisement