Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So-dimm Ram

Options
  • 22-01-2008 2:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭

I have a lappy with SO-DIMM 333MhZ PC2700. If I were to buy more modern 533/667MhZ RAM at say PC3200/4200/6400 would it run, albeit at the lower speeds? Old RAM is shockingly expensive.

Deliberately didnt put this in the laptop forum as its more of a general questin re RAM, but will move if mods feel otherwise inclined.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

This is from komplett who these days are not the cheapest place to buy , but seems very reasonable to me for PC 2700 ram , the type you need ,

http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.aspx?bn=10522

I GB bog standard corsair is 66 euro ,

I see what you mean though , 1 gig of ddr2 sodimm is only 20 euro , but that probably wont work at all in your laptop , its not so much the speed as its a different technology altogether , if you motherboard doesnt do DDR2 then it doesnt do it !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

Check your laptop manual or the specs on your manufacturer's website for compatible RAM . Faster rated memory sticks may well fit physically in your laptop but if they dont work with your motherboard then they dont work . Once you establish which RAM is compatible dont mix and match (e.g. 1x PC2700 and 1x PC3200) as they will both then run at the lower standard .

adverts.ie is a good place to look , knowledgeable sellers for the most part (and no , I dont have any RAM for sale there so not self-advertising :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I don't know if this also true for DDR SO-DIMMs but I had no trouble using PC3200 DIMMs in desktop PCs only designed to take 2100/2700. They just run at a slower speed. I think I recall doing similar in the past with other stuff too. AFAIK RAM is always backwards compatible with the same format but slower speeds. You can always try some and return it if it doesn't work.

It shouldn't matter mixing them if the laptop can only run at the speed of the slower DIMM.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

tbh I think mathias got it right on the nose. Just double checked, and the mobo is DDR while anything remotely modern is DDR2 and so not backwards compatible as far as I can tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It can be DDR of any speed but DDR2 will not work at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement