Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sacred Spaces

Options
  • 22-01-2008 2:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭

well, another Nerin thread here about to die off.:D

For those of you who keep sacred spaces/altars, whats on/in it, and why?
    perhaps mention your tradition(ie gardnerian,personal etc)

Pics of mine as soon as i get a pic on the interwebs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I do it is a chest of drawers.

What is on it depends on the time of year and what I am doing/ working on.

There are time it is laid out for full ritual and time it only has a candle and time when it
    is part nature table with things my children and I have collected.

What is in it is all the things which can go on it and the drawers are great for storage of candles and the like.

I work in more then 1 tradition so the set up of the altar and space around that reflects this and the way I will be working at any given time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

l_f077b1cea916c0385a6df0a0cf0d9500.jpg

Mine is also on top of drawers.
    This is my setup for when im away at college, back home its more elaborate.
    The Buddha is symbolising man, The 3 wick Candle the Goddess, and the dragon those in between gods and man. The pictures of the 2 deities are of Hecate and Morrigan. I always like some sort of plant life around my sacred space.
    When in college i dont bring any of the ritualistic tools i own, (swords and large wands are a bother).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭scorplett

I have a number of what might be called altars.
    I tend to seperate such spaces and find it nescessary for the ways in which I work
    I have a very traditional Wiccan set up that is in keeping with the Alexandrian tradition, this tends to be set up as and when needed and outside of those situations I would keep more of what I would call a shrine.
    My main altar is a very personal space and sits on top of a tall chest of drawers. I keep many things on it all the time. Deity representations, keepsakes or things that remind me of various memories, ticket stubs from concerts, movies, holidays etc, stones from places i have visited , candles and various things that people gave me, and lots of other things that are precious to me. My personal altar is set to speak to who I am and what has made me who I am and acts as a way to culminate all of what and who I am, and all of what the Deities I work with personally are and so they interact togeather!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭thebookofbob

My main space is also like a personal altar and very similar to Scorplett's post. As well as Deity representations, I have various quartz stones, bits of tree bark, a few leaves, chessnuts and anything else interesting that I've found in the Wicklow mountains and anything that relates to me personally. Also some photographs that are special to me and an incense burner with various oils and a old glass bottle with water I collect from a mountain stream. It's also shared with my main PC and music gear as it's my main music writing space and I often find inspiration sat staring at the items and thinking of their symbolism and the stories behind them.

I also have a North Facing large window sill that looks out over the coast and this would be more traditional.

I've several places that I would regard as sacret space deep within the Wicklow mountains that I would visit regulary.

Advertisement