Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drills

Options
  • 21-01-2008 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi,

Just trying to work on improving my technique and including drills into my swimming. How do people tend to do this? i.e. would you spend a whole session doing 100ms for each of different drills or do folks out there tend to focus on one or two drills at the start of each session and then get into their lengths (e.g. 6*100m or somesuch!).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

It depends on what stage you are at,
    If you are swimming 100m plus at a time, and are covering a few Km per session, It would be best to use drills during your swim down at the end of the session, when your muscles are tired, and your stroke is not at its best. This would also prevent you losing valuable training time from the main body of your set.
    It also depends on which drills you are using, and what strokes you are trying to improve.
    The catch up drill for example, is useful for improving Front crawl arm technique and timing, But this drill can be incorporated into the main body of your set without reducing the aerobic benefits significantly.
    Sculling on the other hand, is useful for working on your catch and propulsive power, as well as local muscular endurance (Small muscle stamina & strength) But sculling 100m is not really an efficient use of your time, Starting your warm down or ending your warm up with 25 or 50 m of sculls would be plenty and would not really impact your pool time too much.
    Post the Drills you are thinking of or the stroke aspects you want to improve and you'll get some more specific examples of how to fit them into a session

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭BillieBob

I usually do around 1500m each time I go to the pool, usually 15*100 mostly front crawl with maybe 100m backstroke and 100m breaststroke to finish. As it's getting a little boring i want to mix it up and as part of this I also want to improve my technique. Mainly to improve my front crawl, then backstroke and breaststroke afterwards in relative importance. Any help/ideas/feedback is welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

15*100M is pretty repetitive all right

The pyramid helps me beat boredom:

That's 1250 - work in a warm-up and swimdown and you have your 1500.

Definitely mixing it up helps, split some of your 100s into 50s. add a couple of 200s, maybe some 150s and 1*300 or 1*400 for a bit of distance. I'm sure someone else will have some technique improving advice, not my strong point i'm afraid.

Advertisement