Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linking av reveiver to sky box

Options
  • 21-01-2008 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hi

I am planning to buy an Onkyo 605 and I would like to hook it up to my sky box as well as my DVD player but the sky box only has a scart and a stereo RCA output.
    So, does a SCART even transfer surround sound or is it just stereo and if so is it possible to get an adaptor for a SCART to component video and 5.1. I have seen adaptors for SCART to component and SCART to stereo RCA but not one that gives component and 5.1, do they exist? If not what is the best way for me to link the sky box to the receiver or is there any point?

Thanks

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

best way, if you want the PICTURE from the sky box thru the amp as well, hook the sky box to the video input on the amp with a scart to rca. then get an optical cable to go from the sky box to the amp. that will give 5.1.

then whatever the best output on your DVD is.. in best to worst - HDMI, Component, S-Vid, SCART/composite and then if its not HDMI, bring the audio in with optical or coax digital

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭cracker

Unfortunately the sky box dosn't have an optical out. It is just the two scart (1 labeled TV and 1 VCR) and the stereo RCA. Does this mean I can't get a 5.1 sound out of it? If not would I need to get a Sky HD box to get surround sound?

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

hmmm... strange i thought all sky boxes had optical... or maybe just the sky+ boxes & the HD ones...

yeah unfortunately, you'll only get 2ch "properly" i say "properly" cos the 605 can give a signal to all the speaker, giving a 5.1 effect.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Wow , thats a very aged sky box so , I signed up for sky about 6 years ago and then all the standard non plus boxes had an optical out , with a standard sky box an optical out is the only way to get surround sound.

These boxes can be had very very cheap these days , probably less than 50 , If you box doesnt have an optical out then I suggest you have a look on ebay and pick up one that does.

http://search.ebay.ie/digibox_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQcrlpZ935938921Q5f24306QQfcclZ1QQfclZ3QQfromZR40QQkeywordZdigibox

Thanks for all that. I got two boxes 4 years ago and neither have an optical out, the one upstairs only has a single SCART. If go out and buy a new sky box is there any point in looking for a HD one with HDMI output (I assume they have one?) even though I don't have a sky HD subscription, could I use it anyway to cut down on cabling? Also do I need to look for any particular brand, will there be any compatibility issues if I get one from the UK?

• Advertisement

If go out and buy a new sky box is there any point in looking for a HD one with HDMI

Unfortunately no there isnt , even the Sky HD box does not do surround over the HDMI , it only does stereo , you still need the optical connection if you want Dolby 5.1, I kid you not , I have Sky HD myself !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

If you can get your hands on SKY HD box, even without subscription, you can tune in the BBC HD trial. With a HD ready TV through HDMI and the Dolby Digital through the optical connection to your amp the experience is stunning! The music programmes from the BBC on HD are excellent in sound and vision.

If you pick up a SKY+ box, the optical output will only provide DD 5.1 on the premium pay channels - movies specifically. The phono connections from the standard SKY box will provide a Dolby Pro-Logic signal on some channels which your amp will convert into reasonable surround sound. You really need the movies sub to get benefit from it, though again the BBC and ITV and RTE broadcast some high quality audio.

I have the movies and sports sub already but I haven't bothered getting the HD cos I haven't got a HD tv yet, that is next on the list once I have saved up after buying the Onkyo, speakers and new DVD player. If I can get the 5.1 on the movie channels using a sky+ box that will certainly do for a start. If I get a sky+ box from ebay or somewhere do I need to upgrade my subscription to use the recording facilities? Will all the sky+ boxes have a digital out on them, does anyone have a recommendation that definintely does?

SKY don't charge extra for the SKY+ subscription any more, so if you can pick up a SKY+ box, then you can call SKY and get them to pair your card with the new box (you will have to read the SKY+ serial number details from the setup menu). The enjoy the DD 5.1 sound from the movie channels:D

Thanks for all the help guys. I haven't got the sky plus box yet but I am going to get the scart to component convertor and stereo RCA to connect my existing box for the time being. But when I went looking for one on ebay I noticed that one of the sellers sellers mentioned that RGB and component are not the same and to get a scart to YPbPr signal you need a convertor and not just a cable. Is this true? I saw a lead in Maplins that had a scart on one end and red/green/blue rca connectors at the other end and I thought that is what I would need but do I need one like this instead.

Thanks

Dave

• Advertisement

RGB and component are not the same

Yes thats true , but its more correct to say that RGB and YPbPr are not the same , they are both component video , but there are a few different types of component video ,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video

To confuse matters even more , the YPbPr connectors on the TV and the amp are usually colored red green and blue , but will usually be labelled correctly as YPbPr. It will need a converter as in your second link. Probably better and cheaper to wait for the sky + box.

Thanks Mathias, my dvd player and receiver are labeled YPbPr as you say. But to connect the sky plus box I will still need the convertor will I not? The video will still be coming out over SCART so it will be RGB, it is just that I would have an optical audio instead of stereo RCA. I had a look at the wikipedia for SCART and it said offically SCART will not transmit YPbPr but that some manufacturers of set top boxes provide it, do sky? If the sky plus box does then as you suggest I might as well get it instead of a convertor.

Yes you will , sorry , I keep forgetting its only the HD box that has component out.

cracker wrote: »
    Thanks Mathias, my dvd player and receiver are labeled YPbPr as you say. But to connect the sky plus box I will still need the convertor will I not? The video will still be coming out over SCART so it will be RGB, it is just that I would have an optical audio instead of stereo RCA. I had a look at the wikipedia for SCART and it said offically SCART will not transmit YPbPr but that some manufacturers of set top boxes provide it, do sky? If the sky plus box does then as you suggest I might as well get it instead of a convertor.

Sorry to jump in on this thread again, just as you are ready to buy a convertor to hook your SCART output to the Component input on the amplifier, but why do you need to do this? You can run your SKY+ SCART output to the TV directly (setting the SKY+ box to RGB for best picture quality) and connect the optical output from the SKY+ to your amp for best sound quality:D The Component inputs on the amp can be used for your DVD player and Wii and Xbox or whatever which use Component video natively. Then add your HDMI devices later (SKY HD, Blu ray , HD DVD etc...);)

The reason for the previous post is that, if you route your SKY box video through your amp, you will need the amp powered on in order to watch any TV. I assume the 605 amp will not pass the HDMI and component video signals if it's powered off?

Its the upscaling lads , the amp upscales !!

Hmmm - sow's ear - silk purse ;) now that would be some upscaler....

There are plenty of good upscalers out there and most are designed to take SD and upscale it. The PS3 is very good at this and so is the Onkyo 605. A good component signal would upscale very well.

A lot of the channels from the SKY box would not upscale too well. I agree that a good component source from DVD could benefit from upscaling. I'm finding that some of the SD channels are not upscaling too well on my new Panasonic 1080p plasma. HD stuff is brilliant, but I think my old 37" Panasonic with only 720 lines handled the SD stuff better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 davybaby40

Hi Guys , Here's my two cents ..... as of recently only Sky+ and HD have optical out
    Re the video conversion ... the best picture from a sky box is loosely termed RGB ( you can select this output in the picture setup menu) what you actually get is a hybrid signal called RGBS (sync on composite)
    A scart lead to Red Green Blue tails is primarily for DVD players as these output component signal.

Component is NOT RGB although you have the same Red Green Blue terminals. Peats wholesale do a cheap converter and it will ocnvert 720P signals from a sky HD box to component also .Its about 100 quid inc vat
    You plug you scart in one side and take off component and audio LR the other side

Regards,
    Dave
    www.mcdonnellsystems.ie

• Advertisement

davybaby40 wrote: »
    A scart lead to Red Green Blue tails is primarily for DVD players as these output component signal.

Peats wholesale do a cheap converter and it will ocnvert 720P signals from a sky HD box to component also .Its about 100 quid inc vat
    You plug you scart in one side and take off component and audio LR the other side

Regards,
    Dave

Hi Dave,

I think we established with the original poster that he would need a converter to change RGB to conventional component video. The SCART to RGB phono lead is just that - RGB. DVD players do not/cannot output or input component video on their SCART sockets.

You don't need a convertor to handle 720P signals from a SKY HD box as these are only output from the SKY HD on the component or HDMI sockets ;) The SCART output from a SKY box (HD or not) is 576i - no progressive or upscaled output from SCART connectors ;)

ps - other forums don't allow advertising in people's sigs

Thanks for all the advice. I went with fat-tony's suggestion and just ran the stereo audio from my existing sky box through the amp and left the video connected directly to the tv using the scart. I figured I might as well just wait until I get sky hd rather than forking out on a second hand sky plus box and convertor. The sound is not too bad but certainly nowhere near as good as when I play DVD's with the sound connected using an optical digital cable. This is the first av receiver I have had so I don't have much to compare it to but the sound is absolutely amazing when playing DVD's. I will just have to go and get sky hd sooner rather than later.

Sometimes the simple solutions are the best ;)
    Just be aware that the SK+ or SKY HD boxes have optical out only, so your amp will need two optical inputs, or you will need to switch to coax from your DVD player if it has one. If you are considering HDMI and your amp supports it, then be aware that the SKY HD box only passes stereo audio on its HDMI connection - you will still need the optical connection for 5.1:rolleyes:

Advertisement