Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intimidating Neighbour complains about dogs

Options
  • 21-01-2008 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

I have two dogs,they are well cared for.They have a run in which they spend about 6 hours a day,4 days a week.
    One intimidating neighbour complains whenever they bark.
    Every other neighbour says that they are grand.

They never bark at night,and during the day they only bark at visitors and for a minute when they are being put into the run.

What are my rights in relation to this intimidating neighbour?
    Please respond a.s.a.p.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Vinnie K

You have the right to ignore your neighbour, now i know that its easier for everyone to get on with there neighbours and all that but if there just being prats about things just nod and smile, once the dogs arent barking excessively which i doubt they are because you would have surely heard about it from the other neighbours.
    When you say intimidating, in what way do you mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

By intimidating I mean doing things like eye-balling us.
    He also had the nerve to call the dog warden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Vinnie K

GA361 wrote: »
    By intimidating I mean doing things like eye-balling us.
    He also had the nerve to call the dog warden.

The whole eye balling crap and the other stuff tha goes with it, i would be botherd about, typical nosy naighbour ****e. Was the dog warden out with you?

rang dog wardenand invited him out,he'd call later in the week as complaint was made.Garda told me he hasn't a leg to stand on as dogs don't bark at night and don't bark excessively during the day 9other neighbours listening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

We have the same problem with the folks next door. They knocked in and asked us to keep our dog in the house because of "excessive barking" but my dog is in the house all the time and always has been. We bring her out for walks so the only time shes in the back garden is to go to the loo and maybe bark at the birds for a minute. I think some people just like to complain. Unless your dog is keeping them up all night, just ignore them. These people don't seem to realize that if their house ever gets broken into they'l be delighted to have the dog next door disturb the people breaking in!! (This actually happened with the people on the other side of us.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

If any of my neighbours were "intimidatiing" towards me , i wouldnt take it , id let em have an eye all of my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

rang dog wardenand invited him out,he'd call later in the week as complaint was made.Garda told me he hasn't a leg to stand on as dogs don't bark at night and don't bark excessively during the day 9other neighbours listening.

If a complaint was made, then the dogs are disturbing him and I suspect there is more to this story than you are telling us.

Can I suggest a bark collar for the dogs until they quieten down? Its horrible living next to noisy dogs.

Jumpy wrote: »
    If a complaint was made, then the dogs are disturbing him and I suspect there is more to this story than you are telling us.

Can I suggest a bark collar for the dogs until they quieten down? Its horrible living next to noisy dogs.

Jumpy,
    this man complained about four dogs on our road.
    The last time he rang the warden was about his other neighbours dog.
    He actually went around to other neighbours to get them to LIE to the dog warden but they wouldn't.He then cursed at the honest neighbours and wasnt shy about using F***.
    Now do you understand where I'm coming from Jumpy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 tish@petstop

GA361, Email me asap. I was up in court for similar problem!!!! And Jumpy dog collars are cruel and inhumane!

[EMAIL="tish@petstore"]tish@petstore[/EMAIL], I cantPM you as the computor wont let me.
    How did you get on in court?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

[EMAIL="tish@petstore"]tish@petstore[/EMAIL], I cantPM you as the computor wont let me.
    How did you get on in court?

They've been banned - look at the member state below the username.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 justme

I have two wonderful dogs, who are cared for very much. One of them we rescued on Christmas night! Both are young dogs between 10-18 months old. We were notified by a note in the door that the dogs were barking during the day. We put this down to them being left outside while we are working. To combat this we have to keep the dogs indoors during the day. Like yours, they don’t bark at night, they are generally very good and house trained. However sometimes they do bark (as dogs do!) either at each while playing or at birds! The only time they are out now is when we are home, if they bark during this time we stop it straight away. Today I can home to another note telling us to keep them quite or they would have to contact the ISPCA. They have not made it known who they are leaving the note unsigned. What really drives me mad is that if I had kids playing out in the garden screaming at the top of their lungs no one would say anything. I have also noticed that there are other dogs in our area who do bark a lot at night and during the day. What is a dog owner to do????

The person to whom I am referring kept on calling the gardai.
    The Gards have indeed come out to our house to investigate the situation.They told our complaining neighbour he was wasting police time and advised us to lodge a complaint against him because of his harassment.There is no law saying that your dogs have to be kept in juring the day.
    If you have a well fenced garden or a run there aint nothin that thug can do.

I advise you to notify the guards of these notes and ask your neighbours who did it.
    Our dogs bark,but they dont do so excessively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭campervan

I advise you to notify the guards of these notes and ask your neighbours who did it.
    Our dogs bark,but they dont do so excessively.

I agree, the whole note-leaving this is COWARDLY. If it keeps going, contact all your neighbours to try and find out, or else just try and ignore them. Dont forsake your dogs enjoyment because of them, perhaps ask another neightbour who is at home during the day to monitor the dogs and see if they do bark during the day, and ask for honest feedback.

The notes wreck my head - sorry on another subject other than dogs, we often get notes left on our cars telling us not to park there, it is their space in front of their apartment - there are no numbers on the spaces and everyone has to fight for a space cos there arent enough. the cheek of them, who do some people think they are? gods f****n gift

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

I have two dogs,they are well cared for.They have a run in which they spend about 6 hours a day,4 days a week.

They never bark at night,and during the day they only bark at visitors and for a minute when they are being put into the run.

Please respond a.s.a.p.
    hi just let you now this,you say they dont bark at night which is ok but during the day noone really has any business to complain only at As the law states any noise from next door neighbours after 11.00 pm is against the law that includes barking,radio,domestic disputes,drunken behaviour etc.
    That is when the problem starts if you dog is barking after 11 pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

Some people just have to complain about anything. They have nothing better to be doing with their lives.
    We have some ***** as neighbours and they have complained about every dog on the road. There were neighbours who had the ISPCA called out wasting their time on people who loved their dogs and treated them like people. And I used to have some nice neighbours and they loved their dog which i never saw outside except on his walkies. He was always inside the house and never heard him bark, and they had to complain about him. That neighbour moved away cause of the complaining neighbours.
    There was another neighbour who contacted some place and complained about dogs soiling their property and she blamed every dog on the road and the owners getting letters warning about the dogs taking a dump.

My advice is to hit ur neighbourfor his ignorance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

lisajane wrote: »
    My advice is to hit ur neighbourfor his ignorance.

Great advice. Responsible dog owner then?:rolleyes: Amazingly when people have suggested being abusive to animals here (http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055240344&highlight=barking+dogs) they have been reprimanded and banned (and rightly so). Yet you suggest assaulting a human being and you're not even cautioned.:eek: Mods?

Originally Posted by lisajane. My advice is to hit ur neighbourfor his ignorance
    you cant do that seriously are ye out of ye mind.You'l cause more trouble than its worth.Hitting your neighhbour god!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Please respond a.s.a.p.

Are you at home during the day when the dogs are in the back garden, or are you at work?

Is your aggressive neighbour at home during the day?

Are the neighbours who don't complain at home during the day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭hardly work'n

Please respond a.s.a.p.

Every story has two sides. My Mother-in-law lives between two dog owners & when one set of dogs start the other set of dogs start. She is an OAP living on her own. But even when she goes into her own garden the dogs on one side start barking then the dogs on the other side will start. Since you are not home you can't really tell what is going on. So like suggested before get a neighbour who is at home during the day to monitor the dogs see how much barking is going on. I am a dog owner of 3 big babies and am very lucky to be out in the country with no neighbours too close. But I know if I lived where my Mother-in-law lives it would drive me round a twist. She is on good terms with her neighbours has complained to them with nothing done. So she got this little box that when a dog starts barking it lets out a quick sharp high pitched sound. No harm to dog or human!! Problem solved.

• Advertisement

what is the box as you posted.
    So she got this little box that when a dog starts barking it lets out a quick sharp high pitched sound

I'm not sure what the name of it is. I spoke with her yesterday to find out if she still has the box it came in and where she got it. But no joy. The box is just attached on to the fence and when the dogs start barking it just lets out a high pitched short sharp sound that only the dogs can hear. It's is human and the other non-dog owners on the row are delighted too. It has worked a treat for her. I will see if I can find out where she got it at least.

I found two similar products but they are not quite like her's but a similar idea. www.ultimatebarkcontrol.com/ds_pro.htm or
    www.smarthome.com/1392-stop-dog-barking.html

Her's looks similar but not there are some slight differences. I'm sure there are loads of products out on the market.

Every story has two sides. My Mother-in-law lives between two dog owners & when one set of dogs start the other set of dogs start. She is an OAP living on her own. But even when she goes into her own garden the dogs on one side start barking then the dogs on the other side will start. Since you are not home you can't really tell what is going on. So like suggested before get a neighbour who is at home during the day to monitor the dogs see how much barking is going on. I am a dog owner of 3 big babies and am very lucky to be out in the country with no neighbours too close. But I know if I lived where my Mother-in-law lives it would drive me round a twist. She is on good terms with her neighbours has complained to them with nothing done. So she got this little box that when a dog starts barking it lets out a quick sharp high pitched sound. No harm to dog or human!! Problem solved.

The two neighbours beside me are at home all the working day as they are retired.They even sleep only 5 metres away from where my dogs sleep and they still have no probs!

Advertisement