Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from Ireland to England - Money?

Options
  • 21-01-2008 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hey,

I've been living in Dublin since July 07 on a student placement.

I'm going to be moving back to England in August and would like to know the best way to transfer the money i have saved. It will prob be around 3,000euros and i'm with permanent tsb. Shall i get them to transfer it over?

Will i be losing alot this way? are there alternative methods?

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Tom

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You'll be able to get them to do a transfer to your UK account once you have the BIC and IBAN for it (see your UK bank statement). The charge for a standard transfer should be minimal.

The exhange rate will be your biggest issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭TomPich

Why would it be my biggest issue?

Isnt the pound decent against the euro at the moment no? I know a number of people who are getting alot more pound for the euro so far this year.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Between now and August, however, anything could happen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭TomPich

Hey buffy,

I have about 1,000 saved, would you reccommend transfering that to my english bank now? or waiting?

Regards

Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭derek27

TomPich wrote: »
    Why would it be my biggest issue?

Isnt the pound decent against the euro at the moment no? I know a number of people who are getting alot more pound for the euro so far this year.
    the euro has been getting between 0.68 and 0.74 p STG over the last few months

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Now is as good a time as any to move it, even with the good rate and potential fluctuations you're not talking millions so you won't really notice the difference. As your bank will probably charge for each transfer you could just wait until you're ready to send the lot over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

TomPich wrote: »
    Hey buffy,

I have about 1,000 saved, would you reccommend transfering that to my english bank now? or waiting?

Regards

Tom

I wouldn't leave yourself short. If you are 100% sure that you won't need it, I would transfer it across. Otherwise stick it in a savings account and keep an eye on the exchange rate.

Advertisement