Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rate your language

Options
  • 21-01-2008 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Marks out of 10 for the language you programme in for

1. Dificulty to Master
    (1 out of 10 - 3 months expert,
    5 out of 10 - 1 year expert
    10 out of 10 - 3+ years)

2. Future Employability
    (in Ireland over the next 10 years say)

3. Cool applications
    ( 5 out of 10 - you can build a slick website
    10 out of 10 - you can hack the pentagon)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 CaptainHilts

Difficulty to Master 6/10: should be competent after a couple of months. solid after a year

Future Employability 7/10 should be a good few opportunities. Come on Facebook to Dublin

Cool Applications 4/10
    Databases are low on sex appeal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Difficulty to master: 1
    Future Employement: 1 especially the way i use it :D
    Cooleness: 10, wouldnt suprise me if you could manage to hack the pentagon with it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Surely 4GL and 3GL cannot be in same category.
    SQL is a non-procedural langauge and you cannot 'programme' in it - it simply is used in conjunction with a procedural language so I wouldn't say programming in SQL is very accurate.

For me:

C
    Dificulty to Master: 8
    Dificulty to Master: 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭zardette

Webmonkey wrote: »
    SQL is a non-procedural langauge and you cannot 'programme' in it - it simply is used in conjunction with a procedural language so I wouldn't say programming in SQL is very accurate.

For me:

C

There are versions of SQL that are extended to support procedural programming (loops, decisions, functions,etc)
    eg http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PL/SQL

Database programming experts would pobably be exposed to similar variations of sql in their work.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭leahcim

The OP just asked to rate programming languages, why would it be just limited to 3GLs.

C#

Difficulty to Master
    if never programmed before: 10
    if migrating from C++ or Java: 4
    if migrating from non OO language: 7

Future Employability

Cool applications

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Webmonkey wrote: »
    For me:

C

So it swings from a difficulty of 8 to 2 and back to 8 again? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭sobriquet

musician wrote: »
    So it swings from a difficulty of 8 to 2 and back to 8 again? :)

Buffer overflow.

(Just because SQL is non-procedural doesn't mean it's not a programming language. It's declarative. FWIW, TSQL supports looping, branching and functions so it's a pretty complete language in procedural terms. Not that I'd want to write much in it, mind.)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

C#/VB.Net (might aswell do both together)

Difficulty to Master 8/10: Can be quite simple, but can be quite complex when needs be.

Future Employability 9/10: Lots of jobs and oppertunities around at all levels, and should be for the foreseeable future. It's not as if MS is going to suddenly close up shop and a lot fo their strategy is based around integrating .Net into everything.

Cool Applications 9/10: Nearly the whole spectrum of programming is covered by .Net, desktop apps, web apps, web services, business/enterprise services/apps, mobile phones/PDAs, games consoles(via XNA)

FWIW, I wouldn't consider SQL a programming language. Programming languages provide sets of instructions to a computer to accomplish a task. SQL provides definitions of data operations for a DBMS to carry out. But for the purposes of this thread it should be included too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

But then again, instructions for a computer are really just definitions of data operations too. Hmmm interesting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I'm just gonna copy leahcim's format.

Objective C

Difficulty to Master
    if never programmed before: 10
    if migrating from C++ or Java: 5
    if migrating from non OO language: 7

Future Employability
    2. No-one wants Mac developers in Ireland :rolleyes:

Cool applications
    8 - if used with appropriate libraries (Cocoa, CoreAudio, Quicktime etc etc.)

• Advertisement
Advertisement