Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazing experience (probably normal) at temple

Options
  • 21-01-2008 4:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I'm not a Buddhist (yet) but most definately, having looked into it am starting to believe its the right choice for me.

Anyways, just a simple story of an experience I had this weekend.

I'm in Korea at the moment and went to a buddhist temple. I think it was called tien-ta buddhism, mix between chinese and japanese and korean.

Now before I go on this place was HUGE, it had about 40-50 buildings with more under construction. It had its own post office, bus station etc etc. I mean, fracking HUGE. And seemingly very very very very rich.

Anyways. The koreans I went with weren't exactly impressed with the place, they're a different kind of buddhism and just thought that some aspects of this particular type of buddhism made it less "buddhist" to them. (They were in no way being intolerant or anything like that).

e.g of the things they didn't agree with/like;
    - The monks can marry, have kids etc.
    - They think that this brand of buddhism arranges marraiges as well (not sure).
    - The place was not isolated by any means (It had its own bus station and post office. It was HUGE!!)
    - lots of the symbols/other stuff were strange/unfamiliar to them and they seemed to think that this brand of buddhism put too much emphasis on material things. i.e > Huge massive statues, ridiculously expensively decorated buildings etc etc.

Anyways, what amazed me was this first and foremost.

They gave free food to EVERYONE. As much as you could eat/want.

I don't mean free food to buddhists visiting the temple, i don't mean free food to people visiting the temple, i mean free food to EVERYONE. There were people coming in for dinner who were just after hiking up a mountain and back down, christians, buddhists, no religion. Made no difference. Here have some free dinner, on us.

I found that amazing if for no other reason then people here just assumed they could go there for a free lunch. There was noone trying to convert you, there was no boxes for donations of any kind (My korean friends told me usually there are donation boxes, this temple didn't have any).

It was basically, come in, eat our food, drink our water, walk almost anywhere you want, go into our temples etc etc.

It was basically a beautifully decorated free restaurant for anyone who wanted food with absolutely no type of coersion to "convert" you whatsoever.

I just found it amazing.

I'm not going to start an anti-christian/other thing here but my god since being in Korea I've met some complete christian nuts (american fundimentalism has found its way here) who won't leave me alone. And here when u join a churche (christian) you are obligated to give them 10% of your wages (whats that about ???)

Anyways, I'm planning to go try and find a really isolated temple soon and maybe spend a few days there (u can apparently live with the monks and do monk'sy stuff)

Just thought I'd share that. It was amazing to me how generous and giving these guys are.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Should of posted in Bargain Alerts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Should of posted in Bargain Alerts.

what ?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

hehehe, I think he's referring to the free food...

As far as I know, its not very unusual for monasteries to give out free vegetarian food. I know the temples in India do it and part of the experience is for the visitors to prepare food for the other visitors...

I think you will find a lot of south east asia to be an amazing place.... enjoy it!

DeV.

Advertisement