Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW/Merc/Avensis

Options
  • 20-01-2008 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi

I'm looking at buying one of the following

2003 BMW 320d SE - 60k miles - €20k
    2002 Merc C180 Classic Coupe Petrol - 60k miles - €20k
    2005 Toyota Avensis - Liftback Diesel - 33k miles - €22k

My wife wants me to go for the practical choice (Avensis) but has left it up to me.

I prefer the BMW and Merc is second choice - but from a driving and motoring point of view, which should I go for??

GP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,141 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Avensis is not a bad car in its own right but expect to hear the predictable Clarkson sound bytes about how boring it is, yada, yada...

But it is not competing in the same segment as the other two so in reality the 320d would be the choice of the above 3. The Merc is nothing special imo.

Just to add though makes sure the turbo on the 320d has been changed as they had a lot of issues with them around 2002/2003 afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 golfpix

thanks for that. I am aware of the turbo issue on the BMW alright so will need to check that before buying it.

If it has not been done then I would go for the merc - however there is a certain image issue with a Merc Coupe is there not??

GP

• Registered Users Posts: 51,141 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Well I'm not a fan of MB since they took ownership of Chrysler a good few years ago. There quality has nose dived since then and only seems to be starting to recover now.

The major reason I would have considered a MB was because of their up to about a decade and a half ago, reputation for building high quality and engineered cars. Something which is no longer the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭fabsoul

I would go for the BMW, I had a few of them 2000, and 2002 320d great car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

BMW over Merc. The toyota if you're sensible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Aren't all RHD C class Mercs built in South Africa and not Germany, and their build quality and reliability is apparently dubious?

(As it happens the RHD 3-series is also built in South Africa.)

I'd say the Avensis, as it's newer, will be better built, equipped, and have a bigger boot.

Drive all 3 and see which you prefer.. dynamically I'd say there'll be little between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Buy the Toyota - it's newer. If you're comparing the three you should look at them from the same year. Buy the Toyota - it's cheap.

Look, you get's what you pays for. If you want the best car buy the BMW, if it's prestige you're after buy the Merc. But if you care about your money and don't give one what other people think buy the Toyota.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Modern Mercs are a reliability nightmare. There hasn't been a properly built Merc in about a decade at this stage. The first(of many) Merc that was badly built was the A-class which made it's debut in 1998(and infamously rolled over in the Elk test). The newer ones, like the brand new C-class are meant to be better, but let's wait and see. That is enough to say no to the Merc. As it happens the Coupé version of the C-class isn't great anyway, the inside feels worse than a Fiat! You're paying for a badge with that car.

As for the other two, if the turbo is fine in the 320d(make sure a replacement has been fitted on any 320d from 02-04) then they are usually reliable, though the Toyota would have the edge there(that said they aren't quite as well built as the "Best Built Cars in the World"claim would have you believe.

You can't go wrong with either the BMW or the Toyota though, it's down to what your personal preferences in a car are there in reality.

But for the love of God wait till July if you're going for the diesels, the new ones are going to get a lot cheaper under the new tax structure, so that will have to force down the price of older ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

An odd shortlist. a diesel "premium" saloon, a petrol sports coupe-ish hatchback, and an ordinary family saloon.
    Sounds like you don't know what you need from a car (NOI)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

BMW 320d turbo problem was fixed in November 2003. Look for the build date (Month/Year) under the bonnet on the passenger strut

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

I'd go with the BMW myself - then the Avensis.

Nothing wrong with the Avensis at all - maybe look at a D4D engine??

S

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

No one has ever said 'go on, treat yourself to an Avensis'. That's a pretty wishy-washy hatchback Merc (calling a spade a spade) and the reliability issues are very real (and I say this as a fan of Mercedes).

As has been posted already, your selection is a little more than eclectic. If you have really agonised and it really is one of those 3 cars, the BMW is the best allrounder, just make sure to exercise common sense before putting the money down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Hooky 25

Toyota last forever, BMW and Merc comfort, if i had to pick one of the three it would have to be eehhhhhh BMW

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Hooky 25 wrote: »
    BMW and Merc comfort, if i had to pick one of the three it would have to be eehhhhhh BMW

Not that a BMW is uncomfortable but it's more of a sport saloon than a luxury cruiser. There's no car in this range will have you in the lap of luxury, really. Toyotas may last forever but they certainly don't age well enought to want to:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

golfpix wrote: »
    Hi

I'm looking at buying one of the following

2003 BMW 320d SE - 60k miles - €20k
    2002 Merc C180 Classic Coupe Petrol - 60k miles - €20k
    2005 Toyota Avensis - Liftback Diesel - 33k miles - €22k

My wife wants me to go for the practical choice (Avensis) but has left it up to me.

I prefer the BMW and Merc is second choice - but from a driving and motoring point of view, which should I go for??

GP

buy the BM, and you'll never look back - they are not called the "ultimate driving machine" for nothing.

NIF

• Registered Users Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

buy the BM, and you'll never look back - they are not called the "ultimate driving machine" for nothing.

NIF

No, they're call that for marketing. I know plenty of people who've had turbo failures who would stab you in the eye for mentioning that statment. I have a 320d and yeah they're a lovely car and i've not had any problems, but ffs it's a car just like any other. When i'm able to get into my car, tell it where to take me, and also give me a blowjob at the same time, THEN i'll call it the Ultimate Driving Machine (Well, the car would be doing the driving)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

bazz26 wrote: »
    The Avensis is not a bad car in its own right but expect to hear the predictable Clarkson sound bytes about how boring it is, yada, yada...

I don't think theres any need for a Clarkson sound bite when taking about the Avensis. It is produced as an implement to get from A to B safely and reliably nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

VeVeX wrote: »
    I don't think theres any need for a Clarkson sound bite when taking about the Avensis. It is produced as an implement to get from A to B safely and reliably nothing more.

Did Clarkson say it is boring or are people just expecting he would ?

Anyway - the reason I would go for the BMW is it is the drivers choice here, its well made, it should still be worth a bob or two in a few years and its a nice practical motor.

The Toyota is probably the sensible choice.
    A FWD toyota aint gonna float your boat on a nice open b road, but its a much better car than people give it credit for.

If thats not the sort of thing you do - buy the Toyota.

As for Mercs - I have driven a few over the last few months helping my dad choose a new car - they are still VERY well engineered cars - they really do what they do well, but unfortunately they ain't built so well of late, and 02 is right in the middle of the dark era!

Advertisement