Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eBay Chief in Ireland is still utterly unimpressed with Ryan and Comreg

Options
  • 20-01-2008 9:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.tribune.ie/article.tvt?_scope=Tribune/Business/Technology&id=82254&SUBCAT=Tribune/Business
    I was literally deluged with letters of support from people from other ecommerce firms, and even people from state agencies, simply for bringing up the whole issue. Really I feel there was an element of pointing out that the emperor was naked in what I said.

He is only pointing out what most of the regulars on this Board have pointed out ad nauseum over many years .....sure he could be one himself :p

Ryan has shown no signs of realising the criticality of the current situation in Ireland . He is certainly not worth fixing , I hope Cowan sacks him because dead duck Ahern won't :(
    I meet people every day who are running businesses on eBay and they're continually asking me 'what the hell are we going to do to get better connectivity?'" he says. "People are crying out for it. There are people who have chosen to, or want to, run their business out in the west or in remote areas, but we're not allowing them to do that in this country. As a multinational sitting in Dublin interacting with other parts of the world our connectivity is great, but our connectivity to Fred in Galway or Mike in Dingle is very, very poor. As a country we're hampering many entrepreneurial ambitions

But Ryan reckons all would be right if the OECD noticed how industriously we shag :(

I have personally gone over the cliff in recent times . I feel its too late to do anything at this stage even if we collectively had a clue and therefore did not put the likes of Ryan in charge of important matters like broadband policy .

Ireland is now ****ed and thats official !!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    http://www.tribune.ie/article.tvt?_scope=Tribune/Business/Technology&id=82254&SUBCAT=Tribune/Business

He is only pointing out what most of the regulars on this Board have pointed out ad nauseum over many years .....sure he could be one himself :p

Ryan has shown no signs of realising the criticality of the current situation in Ireland . He is certainly not worth fixing , I hope Cowan sacks him because dead duck Ahern won't :(

But Ryan reckons all would be right if the OECD noticed how industriously we shag :(

I have personally gone over the cliff in recent times . I feel its too late to do anything at this stage even if we collectively had a clue and therefore did not put the likes of Ryan in charge of important matters like broadband policy .

Ireland is now ****ed and thats official !!!!

Its time to form our own nation in Galway then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

We've got to do something soon people. When multinationals are talking about its bad! They want to keep their head down and make money and our government is so pathethic even they can't keep their mouths shut about it!

I think a new effort to restart Ireland Offline could be in order. What do people think? I don't think we were far off the last time. We basically need someone with the time and dedication to lead the organisation and a right hand man for that person as nobody should have to face the telecoms alone. They'll have plenty of support from the forums but that is only so much use.

Its unbelievable that they delayed the NBS and the joke that the scheme is becoming as its scope has decreased over time it seems. That and providers like 3 being even considered shows the governments lack of knowledge and will is not only having a negative effect on the current situation but is also dangerous for where we are going for the future. The NBS, even if it ends up being poorly implemented, cannot be allowed to be awarded to extremely poor technology such as 3G HSDPA Mobile Broadband which cannot even connect is users and the owners of this network failed for months to operate an SMTP server for gods sake! That and the ease at which they jump to censorship to limit access to rapidshare and other sites easily demonstrates that this company is not fit to be even considered for this scheme.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

brim4brim wrote: »
    We've got to do something soon people. When multinationals are talking about its bad! They want to keep their head down and make money and our government is so pathethic even they can't keep their mouths shut about it!

This says it all in the Latest News Section.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrhappy42

Want to support e-bay's chief. Dial up speed in 2008 is a real indication of the lack of leadership in this area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Whats more worrying is leadership on this issue isn't coming from the government or the opposition.

It says a lot about our politicans that they are this ignorant about technology.

It highlights just how much of a joke the "knowledge based economy" we are moving towards is. There is no plan from this government for a "knowledge based economy". Its buzz word with no real meaning so nobody can attack it in an argument or at least the opposition can't although the clear argument against it would be to ask them to define what it is exactly and when they fail to mention high speed communications networks as being important then you've basically won your argument the second you highlight it and mention that in the modern world, knowledge is shared using high speed communications networks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭transylman

I remember thinking back in 1999 when Eircom was privatised that it would probably be 2 or 3 years before we would get broadband in my rural hometown but I never thought that 9 years later there would still be no sign of a broadband option even being in development for the area. This is truly shocking at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrhappy42

transylman wrote: »
    I remember thinking back in 1999 when Eircom was privatised that it would probably be 2 or 3 years before we would get broadband in my rural hometown but I never thought that 9 years later there would still be no sign of a broadband option even being in development for the area. This is truly shocking at this stage.

At least we have a few more smaller operators creating some form of competition and gaining knowledge in the area. For example www.scccbroadband.org, they are now connected to fibre and getting speeds better than anything Eircom can offer. Maybe the term 'knowledge based' economy means local people doing what the big boys can't/won't.

If Eircom offered a brilliant service, they could have charged what they liked, killed any competition and people would have paid it... (hahaha)

Advertisement