Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do cat's need much exercise?

Options
  • 20-01-2008 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

My cats don't seem to do much except eat & sleep. I am wondering should they exercise more. I know its understandable they would be like this in bad weather but they don't alter their routine much even in good weather?

I am looking at my cat sleeping right now but don't have the heart to wake him and put him out in the yard as he looks so comfortable even though by recent standards this is a pretty good evening. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

My cats don't seem to do much except eat & sleep. I am wondering should they exercise more. I know its understandable they would be like this in bad weather but they don't alter their routine much even in good weather?

I am looking at my cat sleeping right now but don't have the heart to wake him and put him out in the yard as he looks so comfortable even though by recent standards this is a pretty good evening. :rolleyes:

They dont really need much. What are you feeding them? Do you put them out at night?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Cats sleep on average for 16 hours a day (if only I could get half that most days :p ), but some sleep longer. If your cat is mostly outdoors it should get all the exercise it needs, but if it's indoor or mostly indoor it can be harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Well only one cat will come into the house so god knows what the others get up to at night (or day) this little cat though always wants to come in about 5pm and be left out again about 9am. Not all that time is spent sleeping of course as she can cause havoc at 4am playing with stuff etc.

However lately because of the bad weather she has wanted to be inside during the day too and now its hard to get her out of the house at all? :confused:

She is quite good at letting us know when she wants to go out though - even specifying which door/ window she want to exit through.
    Even though not house trained she has never wee'd or poo'd in the house a situation which of course would make putting her out all the easier.

They are fed Burn's dry cat food.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

If you're really worried get some string and play with her. Or a laser pointer (don't shine it in her eyes obviously). But, personally, I'd be happy that the cat was obviously not up to mischief and leave her be. :) Cats sleep for 16-20 hours a day with short bursts of activity. When they're outside they'll find somewhere warm and dry and snooze so at least when she's inside you know she's safe.

I've got to go have a chat with mine now & ask them if they know where all the chess pieces that were on the board last night are gone :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Well only one cat will come into the house so god knows what the others get up to at night (or day) this little cat though always wants to come in about 5pm and be left out again about 9am. Not all that time is spent sleeping of course as she can cause havoc at 4am playing with stuff etc.

However lately because of the bad weather she has wanted to be inside during the day too and now its hard to get her out of the house at all? :confused:

She is quite good at letting us know when she wants to go out though - even specifying which door/ window she want to exit through.
    Even though not house trained she has never wee'd or poo'd in the house a situation which of course would make putting her out all the easier.

They are fed Burn's dry cat food.

Well that cat could just be a house cat. Cats can live happily indoors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Those laser pens are great fun my 2 cats go mad chasing it! :D

th_CIMG0775.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

If they get out at all (and are not overfed/overweight), I'm sure they get adequate exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

AntiVirus wrote: »

th_CIMG0775.jpg

Slightly off topic but Excellent kitten video AntiVirus! Loved it.
    Where did you get your hands on the laser pointer? My kitten would love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The very end of the video (where the tabby does a sideways jump at the curtain) is the best part....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

th_CIMG0775.jpg

Awesome! God I love cats so much, I wish we could get one! :(

OP, how old are your cats? You can't really "make" cats exercise like dogs, they'll do what they want. Do they have a cat flap so they can come in and out when they want? That'd be the best thing. Our cat at home used to be a big hunter and that was his exercise. Now he's 16 and only goes out to the garden once or twice a day to smell the air. He sleeps all night. As long as your cats aren't overweight I wouldn't worry. It sounds like you're not overfeeding them. Cats sleep a lot, it's what they do. That's why I'd love to be a cat!

P.S I just showed the video of your cats to my bf. He's a dog person but has now agreed that's cats are fun and we can get one as soon as we're settled somewhere!

• Advertisement

Just to prove Cats and Dogs can get on great here's a clip to my friends kitten (Ruby) and lab (Jack).

When she's good she's very very good :)
    th_CIMG0423.jpg

When she's bad she's very very bad! :D
    th_CIMG0422.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

When she's bad she's very very bad! :D

:D:D:D:D:D
    Thats hilarious!

It really made me laugh though when you started giving out to poor Jack for jumping on the seat to get away from her - after all the abuse he was putting up with!!! :D A dogs life to be sure!

Yeah poor jack, hes the big baby boy. If you drop any kind of food on the ground he's over in a flash to eat it. You would think by leaving Rubys food out all day he would eat it. He did once and got given out to but he's never done it since then!?!?!! Amazing! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

That was brilliant! OH wants to get a dog too to go with my cat. After seeing that he can definitely get one, that's hilarious!

We'll have to wait until we get back from our travels though and I want one now! :(

OP, I take it your cats arent frisky like that then?

Advertisement