Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newsletters

Options
  • 20-01-2008 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

we have to deliver newsletters to everyonein our organisation and need to be able to tell if they have viewed them or not. The way we intend to do it is to produce the newsletters, one person is responsible for scanning them onto a computer where we want the details to be stored in a database. Each person can then log onto a website and view the newsletters through there. we want to know when they last logged in and what newsletters they have not read. Anyone any suggestions as to how we could structure the database to handle this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Dundalk Daily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭tigerforest

sorry its got to be an in house application. thats why i was asking for ideas on the database structure.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

users table (userID, user Name)
    newsletters table (newsletterID, newsletter Date)
    users newsletters table (readID, userID, newsletterID, date read) linking the above two. If a record for a particular user & newsletter doesn't exist then they ain't read it!

would it be possible to add a feature which i could use to tell how frequently someone checks the newsletters and what sort of sql queries might do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

the third table listed by kbannon can store a record for every time a user reads a newsletter, and you just count the records for a particular user/newsletter pair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

one person is responsible for scanning them onto a computer

I agree with the other suggestions and dont really have much more to add. Except that line kind of jumped out at me from your post.

Are you producing a hard copy newsletter and then scanning them all back in to the system?

depends some are and some are hand written notices. Anything thats produced on computer is just saved as an image already without being printed and scanned again.

Advertisement