Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problems logging on

Options
  • 20-01-2008 12:59pm
    Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭

i'm having problems logging onto my computer. its asking me for a password which i don't know.i've put it into safe mode and changed the password in the user accounts. it keeps coming up with a message saying ' the system cannot log you on now because the domain THE-EXLGHXCLADL is not available' what does this mean?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

It's trying to join a domain (for networking -- basically a more powerful form of workgroup). It can't, of course, unless you have a domain controller on your network. You'll need to change it from joining a domain to a workgroup instead (can be almost anything, MSHOME or WORKGROUP by default). If this is a laptop from work then it could be troublesome joining the domain again when you bring it back.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

its a desk top. how do i change the domain?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,107 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

in safe mode
    goto control panel->system->computer name->change button->workgroup->type in "workgroup" or something

thanks lads i'll give that a go.

tried changing the name but didn't work.tried a few times and it just tells me each time that the domain is not available.
    any other ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

aido79 wrote: »
    tried changing the name but didn't work.tried a few times and it just tells me each time that the domain is not available.
    any other ideas?
    Are you deleting whatever is entered for domain? There's an option to put your PC in a workgroup instead; this is what you need to do. This will require a reboot also.

Advertisement