Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corrie and Vera...

Options
  • 19-01-2008 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,470 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone who says they weren't moved by last nights Coronation Street (and the death of Vera Duckworth) are lying through their teeth. People say soaps are light entertainment ... I suppose 99% of the time they are, but now and again they raise the bar (like last night).

A fitting send off.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

Great acting by Jack. On second thoughts probably not acting at all. Corrie shows once again why it's the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I thought it was beautifully done. In the past ten years or so there has been increasing reliance on gimmicky, sensationalist plotlines and some frankly crap characters. I know times change and new generations have to be considered (in particular when it comes to advertising) and there are also those ratings wars, but even though I'm the same age group as Liam, Maria, Michelle, Kelly, Violet etc, I have more of an interest in the plotlines concerning the older characters. That's something Corrie has always done so well, but sadly it's getting rarer and rarer. Last night was so understated and dignified - no fanfare leading up to it - and it brought home the painful reality of inevitable loss for elderly people. That's the kind of thing that happens every day - not sensationalist stuff like Maxine getting murdered by Richard.

Indeed, kudos to the Corrie team. Best wishes also to Liz Dawn (Vera) as she's not very well at all.

Edit: Watching the repeat. Aw... truly the end of an era.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭purplegeko

It was a great way for the character to leave - no tricks or flash stunts to grab viewers. They proved that great writing and real characters will always get you big viewing figures. Vera was very normal and always quick with the oneliners about her marriage. I don't know what will happen to Jack now or how long he will last by himself in the show.

Overnight figures show 12.9million viewers which is huge for any show that isn't a Christmas day special.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

The scenes involving Jack and Vera were really well done, but they were few and far between. Yeah I guess a full half hour dedicated to the storyline wouldve been a bit much but as an overall episode there was far too much air time given to michelles son and the party sequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

Aww it was so sad. Poor Jack.. Can you imagine how that must feel for some though to be married to someone for that length and to lose them. It's so sad :(
    I thought the way the whole thing was done was very good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

deise59 wrote: »
    The scenes involving Jack and Vera were really well done, but they were few and far between. Yeah I guess a full half hour dedicated to the storyline wouldve been a bit much but as an overall episode there was far too much air time given to michelles son and the party sequences.
    Yeah, that annoyed me. Couldn't they just leave that crap aside for one episode? In Eastenders when Dot's best mate Ethel was dying they were the only two characters in that particular episode, and it was so, so moving. An absolute triumph of an episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

I thought it was funny when the paramedic asked how long they had been married and Jack said 50 years and the guy said "And never a cross word". Jack said "Nothing but." It was so true to life for the characters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I thought it was extremely well done. You really felt Jack's sense of anguish and sorrow at loosing his life partner - I have to admit I shed a tear. Great episode!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭genie_us

I agree - and did anybody see the episode last week in Eastenders where Dot was making the tape for Jim, I thought that was done really well too and made me well up a bit, I thought it was so sad!

• Advertisement
Advertisement