Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Ipod

Options
  • 18-01-2008 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

Where could i get an ipod connection fitted into my car or even where could i buy the components and do it myself? Its a mkv golf 2004.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,394 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you have a few options. You can go for something like a Dension Ice Link FM which plugs into your aeriel socket in the back of the stereo. Harmonn Kardon do a similar unit.
    You could also opt for an interface tha connects to the OE CD changer plug, this will allow you to control the tracks using the buttons on the stereo.

I've fitted the Dension Ice Link FM to a Mk5 Golf and it's grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭tigerforest

how much did that cost you and does it enable song viewing on the display or just playlists through the second cd function? whered you get it from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭SecureSounds

The harmon unit will give you a replicated iPod display on the dash, the Dension will not.

You can see the Harmon display here.

http://www.securesounds.ie/oe%20interface/interface.htm

You can also change the head unit for one with iPod control and this will give you an improvement in sound quality over the original.

Also keep in mind to get the best performance from your iPod you will need to upgrade your speakers as the standard VW ones are quite poor.

I found that the Golf hasn't anywhere to mount the H-K unit without it looking ridiculous. at least the Dension cradle looks like a phone cradle and you can use the ipod display and controls as normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭SecureSounds

Best solution TBH in a MK4 is a replacment unit, than nothing is in site and can always be swapped back when selling the car.

• Advertisement

you got any pics of ur setup and again how much was it?

ice_link_fm2.jpg

That's the unit I used. mounted it down low (beside the ASR button)

it was around €80 from Halfords about a year ago

Here is an intergration kit for the Golf

http://www.ipodcarkitdirect.co.uk/iPod_Car_Kit/For_Factory_Fitted_Radios/VW_iPod_Car_Kit/DICE_VW_iPod_Car_Kit/VW-_DICE__iPod_Car_Kit

thanks might pop over to halfords and have a look wondering how much it is in dundalk, its 80 sterling on their website with a free fitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 rustysaucepan

The harmon unit will give you a replicated iPod display on the dash, the Dension will not.

You can see the Harmon display here.

http://www.securesounds.ie/oe%20interface/interface.htm

You can also change the head unit for one with iPod control and this will give you an improvement in sound quality over the original.

Also keep in mind to get the best performance from your iPod you will need to upgrade your speakers as the standard VW ones are quite poor.

hi i have bmw e46 with harmon kardon and sat nav /tv and there are ipod cables which i tried connecting to and the charge function works but no sound through speakers. there is a loom to the power unit in boot and all connections seem to be fine and no fuses blown any ideas thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Either this or the Dension Ice link, also available on Ebay, I bought one of the X links for the missus' Golf last year, works perfectly sees the Ipod as a CD changer.

Just stick the Ipod in the Glove box.

The HK option looks ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Used to have the Dension link for a passat that plugged into the cd changer port of the headunit. I left the ipod in the glove box. No track names on the display, but if you know your playlists can can still navigate around them. A bit cumbersome but the sound quality was perfect. Was about Euro100 from some online audio shop in the UK. Tracks were displayed on the Ipod also but I didnt like the idea of being distracted looking at it, didnt have to fit any holder to the dash, and there was no sign that there was an ipod in the car to temp the light fingered.

Advertisement