Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal DVD+/-R drive region free, where to get?

Options
  • 18-01-2008 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

Hey guys,

can any one suggest a good SATA or IDE DVD read/writer? Has to be a dual layer burner, has to be black and has to be region free! Don't mind if firmware has to be upgraded or what ever.

Preferably one that can be gotten from Komplett or Dabs (or such like).

Have checked out rpc1.org and cd-freaks, but wondering can anyone make a personal recommendation?

My current LiteOn has got serious issues, will only tranfer at 1.9MB/so all my movies are stuttering and dropping frames :( Tried enabling DMA, but no effect.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Some can be made region free with firmware or just using VLC media player to skip the region check altogether. I don't think many (if any) of them list if they are region free at all though. Anyway my DVD-ROM is a Sony, model number DW-Q28A (made region free via firmware) and a seperate DVD-RW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I've not got region free, but I got a dvd-rom & a dvd-rw, I've got the rom set to region 2 and the rw left as it was. This way you can just get the cheapest one you can find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭MikeyNT

http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php

Most Burners / ROMS can be flashed with region free firmware and the above site is all you should need.

Advertisement