Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas and makers for staircase in awkward position in an old cottage

Options
  • 18-01-2008 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for ideas and creators and fitters for a staircase.

I've renovated an old thatch cottage and have been on the lookout for a staircase which will take up the minumum floor space. I've haven't seen much.
    Here's one image of what seems to be the most popular solution (the layout of the house on this page is actually quite similar except for the ceiling).

What I was thinking of is a sort of stira attic staircase idea where the stairs (more of a ladder) would fold up into the wall, instead of the ceiling! this maybe difficult to imagine but the idea is that the stairs or ladder would take up as little floor space as possible.

The cottage has 2 rooms upstairs which we've left open plan. The ground floor layout is the usual old cottage 4 rooms, bathroom and kitchen side by side at one end of the house, master bedroom at the other end and in between the living area. We didn't put in a ceiling in the living area, instead the rooms above the kitchen/bathroom and the main bedroom have timber railings.
    We've put a steel spiral staircase upto the room above the main bedroom (as there was space between the chimney brest and back wall) but the upstairs room above the kitchen/bathroom is a much tighter space and a proper staircase would take up quite a bit of the main floor space below so I'm looking for an alternative.

Anyone have ideas? or know of anyone who could help?
    The house is in the Athlone (west) area.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Its conceivable to manufacture a stairs to fit almost any configuration or shape, using , innovative methods for tread shape and arrangement.
    But correct me if I am wrong, but do you intend to place your stairs originating in the kitchen, and ending upstairs in a bedroom, open plan.
    Your engineer / architect may have an issue with current building regs regarding fire regulations.

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

The carpenter we had wasn't much help when it came to ideas on a staircase (which may be collapsable), the usual not able to think outside the box but good with a hammer.
    I think any kind of staircase, possibly with the exception of a spiral, will just take up too much floor space, that is why I thought of a foldable/retractable stairs type, any thoughts on this?

The stairs will originate in the living area, the upstairs is open plan with a timber railing (about 4ft high) at the point overlooking the living area.

What engineer architect;) we haven't sought approval from building regulations yet, do you think there'll be an issue? with the open plan? with a retractable ladder/stairs?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

There are a couple of options with the tread shapes that allow a maximum height to be achieved, with a minimum footprint. Do you have any cad drawings or sketches that can show the dimensions in question. I live near Kilbeggan, so maybe I could call for a look, but it may be a week or two away at the moment.

kadman

Kadman,
    I might get back to you about that, I haven't anything right now, I'll get some photos and measurements in the coming weeks, I'm in the process of putting together a website, with the details of the cottage as part of it so hopefully I'll be able to point you to the url.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I have often manufactured a Space-saver or Paddle-Stairs for such problems, basically, it's a stairs where alternating steps have one side cut back . step 1 left foot, step 2 right foot, etc.........and it only requires a Going of 6 ft and a width of 25 - 17 inches. A standard stairs for an average height ceiling requires a Going of 10ft . It's a surprisingly comfortable Stairs to use as you have a full Thread to walk on with every Step.I must try and get some pics.
    I have one almost ready to go in my Workshop at the moment , it's no problem if you want to come out and have a look at it or for any advice. (no obligation of course)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

hey galwayrush could post up some pics of that stairs? Id be rather interested in seeing pics of it...

hey galwayrush could post up some pics of that stairs? Id be rather interested in seeing pics of it...

I'll take some tomorrow and get them posted.
    I'm based in Lackaghmore, Turloughmore, about 10 miles out from Town.

That'd be great if you could post up some pics, if I like what I see I'll definitely call out to you, I'm working on that side of Galway city so I could make it out to you some lunchtime.

That'd be great if you could post up some pics, if I like what I see I'll definitely call out to you, I'm working on that side of Galway city so I could make it out to you some lunchtime.

Will do.You're welcome to call out any time for advice, and as i said before, no obligation.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,106 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

kadman wrote: »
    Your engineer / architect may have an issue with current building regs regarding fire regulations.

kadman
    What engineer architect;) we haven't sought approval from building regulations yet, do you think there'll be an issue? with the open plan? with a retractable ladder/stairs?

Fire regs won't be an issue. But part K might. But allowances have to be made for retrofit work.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    But part K might. But allowances have to be made for retrofit work.

"Part K" ? can you tell me more?

Advertisement