Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple Laptop GPS Software

Options
  • 18-01-2008 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of any Windows based software to allow me to check that my Compact Flash GPS unit is working and tracking satellites by showing me my co-ordinates / number of satellites being tracked etc in realtime?
    I used to have software for my PPC but now using the gps unit on a laptop, trying to find software (free) is hard enough.
    Also if anyone knows mapping software for a laptop (like Co-Pilot etc) that covers New Zealand, drop a reply!
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

majiktripp wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any Windows based software to allow me to check that my Compact Flash GPS unit is working and tracking satellites by showing me my co-ordinates / number of satellites being tracked etc in realtime?
    GPS Utility will do that for you.

http://www.gpsu.co.uk/

Or download OziExplorer (use the shareware/demo version not the Trial version)

www.oziexplorer.com

Or just use any terminal program and read the NMEA messages flying by :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Cheers for the reply, also downloaded a program from here http://www.gpstm.com/ which looks promising enough! Thanks for the input, if anyone knows any other free GPS mapping software I'd love to hear too.Looking at possibly getting a Etex from Garmin too ( the handheld gps unit ) which takes mapsource maps so any opinions on that too would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,991 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Advertisement