Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming pool in South Dublin

Options
  • 18-01-2008 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

I've been enquiring for a while now about swimming pools in Dublin, no one seems to have much information about them. So I went to glenalbyn pool today to ask about their membership, I discovered that membership was year-long only and that with that it would still cost €2.60 or something for each visit, according to the timetable each swim is also only 50minutes....

Now my swimming pool at home (Donegal) is fantastic the membership is a good bit more expensive but you don't have to pay on each visit, it has a sauna, jacuzzi and steamroom, and the swim periods are much longer, like morning and evening swims for adults (lane swimming) are usually 2-3hours.

I was wondering if there is anything similar in Dublin at all, I don't mind paying a rather sizeable membership fee if it's worth it, and I'd also like to know of any private pools around, can anyone help me out?

I have only heard of one other pool in Leopardstown, but I've yet to find it....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

The setup with a lot of pools is that they're split up into sessions. private clubs train in them, teachers hire them for lessons. Most places that provide the kind of access you need are Fitness clubs/gyms.

I'm a member of Total Fitness, i use their Malahide Road/clare hall branch they have a 25 M pool, Small learner pool, hydrotherapy? pool, plunge bath, steam room and saunas and a gym.
    There's a branch in sandyford and Blanchardstown if they're any use:
    http://www.totalfitness.org/centres/index.php?club_id=23&Search=Go

If that's no use take a look over in the rec --> Fitness forum - there's a gym review thread that may be handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

I swim in total fitness Sandyford at least three times a week...after weighing up the cost of annual membership (650approx) versus going to an open session in Glenalbyn or new park I was saving a shed load of money by joing the Total fitness. I obvioulsy have use of great gym facilities aswell..Your decision might come down to how often you plan to swim.

The only fault with total fitness is the lanes can by poorly alligned and the water is fecking freezing, but once you get used to it - its fine. The hydrotherapy pool, steam room, and saunas are great aswell..An additional plus is that the pool is really quiet in the mornings, but you can usually get your own lane any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

trinewbie wrote: »
    The only fault with total fitness is the lanes can by poorly alligned and the water is fecking freezing

Snap with the Malahode Ride Total Fitness, and the air vents are blowing cold air. I don't mind cold, a pool that's too hot can be sickening - but when you're paying that amount of money you'd expect them to heat the pool a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 ilovedesign

I used to swim in westwood in lepardstown...nice pool...4/5 lanes dedicated to swimming.... and in that regard very good...

total fitness I have swam in one and twice and I just don't like the place, but it is cheaper...the pool is very shallow if i remember correctly...like very shallow!!!

then I swam at riverview..more expensive, and not really worth it as so many kids everywhere!! only two dedicated swimming lanes..and was impossible to get any speed going...(that was summer though)

glenablyn is worse though..went swimming there once...never went back...one lane dedicated to swimming with a mixture of fast lane and slow lane swimmers...crazy!!

Clubs are good to check out and alot cheaper option i think, but i have never done that....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 amoeba_girl

Thanks, I'll check total fitness out, Sandyford is near where I live.

• Advertisement
Advertisement