Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is the best place to buy MS Windows XP Home Edition ?

Options
  • 18-01-2008 11:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭

By best place I obviously mean cheapest............:D

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

cheapest is OEM bought with a motherboard BUT IT CAN ONLY BE USED WITH THAT MOTHERBOARD
    www.marxcomputers.ie are selling SOcket A mother boards for €15

Many supppliers will sell OEM without motherboards, this breaks microsofts license conditions

www.micromail.ie
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade with SP2 (For Users of Windows 98/Me Only) €119.00 + VAT= €143.99
    THIS UPGRADE KILLS THE UPGRADED COPY OF WINDOWS
    IF THE PREVIOUS VERSION WAS AN OEM THEN THIS COPY IS FOREVER BOUND TO THE SAME MOTHERBOARD AND LIVES OR DIES WITH IT

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition with SP2 (For PCs Without Windows 98/Me/NT 4 or 2000) €249.00+VAT = €301.29
    Fully transferrable license, but costs more than a bare bones system with XP OEM preinstalled

By comparison ubuntu is free https://shipit.ubuntu.com/login ;)

Advertisement