Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone from Dunngannon? Moving to Ireland

Options
  • 18-01-2008 10:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

:) Hello, I'm just now considering to move to Ireland, family are from Dungannon many years ago. I'm born here in Australia, I've no idea what 'back home' is like (as my family call it). Would so love all of your help to give me an idea of things, everything, anything to help me understand what it would be like living there. I'm a Writer (to be soon author), feel like I'm being called to live the latter half of my life (49) in the place where I was 'almost' born (missed out by a few months). Mum's family came from Dungannon; went to Killyman Road School. I've only vague ideas of some family names (only child), so, if your from that area, would be grateful for all you know to help encourage me about the move. Good and bad, lol...easy on the bad:eek:. Have no particular idea where to move to, Donegal I'm told is lovely, need a room with a view, and sea if possible for writing inspiration. Husband and I will be coming for holiday mid this year 'for a look', to acquaint ourselves with Ireland, then if all seems ok, will no doubt move permanently....then again, if its so beautiful when we holiday, we'll just have things sent over. Will appreciate knowing about the other places in Ireland for a bigger picture, employment, housing, lifestyle, etc for the future move. Thanks to all for your comments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,876 ✭✭✭✭muffler

First of all welcome to the forum.

Im not from Dungannon but I have been in it a few times and it is a fine town and set in a lovely part of the country. I would be a bit biased in saying that Donegal is a much better place ;) but in all honesty the rural country areas/farmlands around Donegal and Tyrone are basically identical. Donegal would have coastal regions whereas Tyrone doesnt.

Hopefully you will get a few more replies here but if you dont you could always post up a query in the Northwest or Donegal forums a few weeks before you intend to travel here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 GreenHills24

muffler wrote: »
    First of all welcome to the forum.

Im not from Dungannon but I have been in it a few times and it is a fine town and set in a lovely part of the country. I would be a bit biased in saying that Donegal is a much better place ;) but in all honesty the rural country areas/farmlands around Donegal and Tyrone are basically identical. Donegal would have coastal regions whereas Tyrone doesnt.

Hopefully you will get a few more replies here but if you dont you could always post up a query in the Northwest or Donegal forums a few weeks before you intend to travel here.

Oh Oh...now you've wet my appetite:p...Donegal!...Well would you believe it! That's the place that I was looking at all last night, trying to find out about living there, employment, infrastructure, rents, housing, how far it is from the Tryone, etc, and to my great surprise, the first answer is from a Donegal person! Don't go too far, I've llllooooaaadds of questions...lol!

Would you mind if I rattle your brain for some answers??;)

Tell me about Donegal...I'd so appreciate it. Its a little overwhelming to move such a long way, but, Ireland 'calls me', best way to describe it. Said all my life I'd go 'home' one day and write. By the sea, with green hills views...find a nice place with just a wee cottage, somewhere where the people were down to earth, have some chooks in the back yard, grow some vegs, find a nice market place to wander around, and just live out the years writing books (with a cat n puppy of course by my side); hubby's a mad cricket person. A first Grade umpire, and recently been in contact with the head of it all in England. So, at the moment, everthings up in the air...will try to take a few steps with seeing whether we'd base ourselves in Ireland (I'm not keen on England:eek:).

Ok, I'll take a breath..over to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 GreenHills24

Oh and thankyou for your kind welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,876 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You will see from this map that Tyrone and Donegal share a border. Dungannon is on the east side of Tyrone not far from Cookstown and there is a thread on the front page here about Cookstown.

In relation to details of Donegal you should start a new thread in the Donegal forum as here would not be the correct place to discuss it.

Advertisement