Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childline

Options
  • 17-01-2008 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

I was reading information about volunteering for childline as it was something i thought id like to do. once you take up training for this position it is said that you have to comit to two years of volunteering.this really turned me off as while i could commit for a year i cant say what my plans are for two years. i understand that it is necessary for the ISPCC to get worth out of training people but does 2 years seem like alot to anyone? surely only asking for 1 years dedication for something your not paid for would bringin more volunteers? am i on my own about thinking this? just wanted to know what other people thought...

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

Training costs money and expertise so they do need to know that the people who give them money are getting real results for it. Having said that maybe you could talk to them and try to convince them that you would be worth it for the next year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭smilingeyerish

the UK version of childline only asks for 1 year commitment,it makes more sense. i mihgt give them a ring though dunno how much they will be convinced!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

What does volunteering with them involve?

(would google but I only have one minute left on net)

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cheekyass

Two yrs do seem like a lot but I suppose they want to ensure the pl they do get are willing to make a commitment to them and not just doing it on a whim. I do work with Focus and they said it was one yrs commitment but when I questioned it they siad its not like they wouldn't understand if my commitments were to change within that time.....so I wouldn't let it put you off. No-one can say where they will be in 2yrs time. I would assume they understand this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

You should go for it anyway. If you can commit yourself to a year you are doing well. If you can't commit to it, you will be weeded out in the training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

hi
    im involved with a group of people who come from different backgrounds who are 2 day a event in april 2008 to have 2 day family and charity day to raise money for 16 childrens chatries which are listed on the website

http//www.spirit-of-children-ireland.ie

our aim is to have couple of days in ireland for charties,familys and any one to have that spirit of a child we all have,its not about money ,its about all comming together for couple days and having fun and meet other people,the 16 childrens charties and saying hi
    we will have website updated in next few days with better details
    there will be all sorts of things at these event to bring out the spirit from 2 t0 60 years old kids
    there will also be live music and grub etc

cheers

Advertisement