Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

painting metal models, help!

Options
  • 17-01-2008 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi guys, i'm new to the world of painting metal models.I'm using gw paint but it will onley stay in parts, do they need more undercoats than plastic models or is there a special paint. Any hints or tips would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭irishthump

Firstly, it's important to clean the models before you paint them. They are usually covered in a powder which makes them easier to remove from the moulds when they are cast. Just use some warm soapy water and a small brush then let them dry.

The metal figures don't need any "more" undercoat than plastic ones, just make sure that the there is an even coat over the WHOLE figure.
    If using spray undercoat such as Chaos Black give the model one, quick even coat. Any parts you have missed can be touched up with some watered down Chaos Black.

The clour of your undercoat can have an effect as well. I always use Chaos Black, but this often needs several coats of flat colour, especially reds, yellows and whites. Many people use white primer for this reason.

Also, make sure you water down your paints as this makes it easier to get an even coat without losing detail.

Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 celtic ghost

Thank you for your advise,i knew to wash them before painting but i usually use undiluted codex grey to undercoat, i'll give black or white a go.! Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭irishthump

Thank you for your advise,i knew to wash them before painting but i usually use undiluted codex grey to undercoat, i'll give black or white a go.! Thanks again.

Be sure and use a proper spray primer, not just some normal GW paint from a pot. The Chaos Black undercoat spray is VERY different from the pots of Chaos Black.
    You can use car primer as well which can be bought in Woodies and is a bit cheaper than GW's stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 celtic ghost

Thanks again for your advise,especially "the bit cheaper part".No more shouting at the paint to stay, as it slides to one part of the model.!

Advertisement