Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

turning idea into story

Options
  • 17-01-2008 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭

What do you do if you have a very basic idea for a story, but don't know how to go about actually developing it into a proper full story?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Just write it down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

I would engage the brain and write a plot outline. This gives me something to work to when inspiration fails - as it inevitably does for me at some point.
    I know others write long stories without knowing how they end but I couldn't do that. The end might change as I go along, but I'd never start out without some idea of the destination.

Then when you have your outline, start writing.

hth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Dazrd

The problem with me is I'm great at coming up with the outline the plot arcs character arcs etc just rubbish with dialogue I'll get stuck on a scene and after banging my head against the keyboard for abit put it aside but of course before I'm ready to go back to it another Idea sparks in my brain and I work on that as a result I have never finished anything.

I'm fairly sure my ideas have merit if only i had a good ear for dialogue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 GreenHills24

Hello, I've just joined, so sending my warmest to you all; Im also 'in the beginning' on the road to publishing. Finally going to do something with all the words I've to say..lol, friends at me to 'write a book', they say I can, well now, we'll see:rolleyes::D

As an inspirational writer, obviously I just need the idea, as in beginning, and end, its easy for me to fill in the rest. I too struggle with "what will I write about", so OP, its a common thing for some. Don't be too hard on yourself, as writers I've heard can be their greatest critic, ususally, because we just want to get it right.

There is no right way, just remember that. I'm told, as we go along, we find our 'writing voice', as opposed to our talking one. Some start in the middle of an idea, working their way toward a beginning and then the other way to the end. Some writers read lots, some don't. Some love being alone in quiet and peace, some don't mind if the Tv's on and hustle n bustle n talkin's all about them. One thing, its can be a lonely road, but, hard work produces good results. We sometimes have to 'dig deep' for that nugget of an idea inside of us. Or it could be as simple as overhearing a conversation, and an idea from that pops up. Could be a picture, or a friend travelling through something. They say to write about what you know.

Oh, don't mind me, Im new at all of this...hope some help is above.:D

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 loc5

hello all
    iv started loads and got to about 80-100 pages an then just stopped and cant seem to get back to it
    what i do to start is get a 120 page copy, write the preface on the first page and go from there

some hints: write about what you know (or think you know)

write what is going on right now EG if your sitting in the kitchen and its raining outside then write that as a start then write what you hear and your off

research- for fact/fiction use library's as well as internet and what ever time you v set aside for it add 400% more usually you'll find that it will take an 1hr1/2 to wade through the rubbish as many authors write from the same palate of sources as the last and regurgitate
    an other good tip especially when in a hurry is 'left right center'- your writing a book about a football manager for eg biogs official and non official what you have to do is find one that loves him and one that hates him the two moderate extremes then cross ref with a similar book that features some one close to him in this eg the team captain or phyisio again a couple for and against and taking into account their bias (and yours) youll probably write an adaquite book

if writing character fiction try a allocating pics of actors to the characters this sometimes helps with visualization

ooops a bit long there sorry:o:o but i hope some of it helps:):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lukegriffen

I think if you had a basic idea of a story, I'd flesh the plot out into beginnning - middle- end, and know the who-what-whys. Characters should have motives, try and fully develop the characters in your head before starting into it, think about them during the day when you're not sitting down to write. Quite a few novelists write without knowing what's going to happen in the end, but they obviously have fully-formed characters in their heads, which can carry the story.

I think the worse thing that could happen you is you write 30,000 words (or whatever) get halfway through and then hit a blank.

How about taking your story idea, and write short stories around it, from various different viewpoints, or set at different times. It's satisfying to be able to finish a short story, and if you write a few of them, perhaps later you could massage them into being chapters in a novel.

Having said all that, I haven't written a novel, or anything close to it.
    Good luck.

Advertisement