Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation for external hard drive

Options
  • 17-01-2008 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Guys,

Due to my dad's constant downloading & deleting of files on his PC, I'm always having to rebuild his system. I'm looking for an external hard drive (pref USB) that is minimum 200GB & (most importantly) turns on when the system turns on.

I'm going to install one-care (I know) on his system because it will handle anti virus and automatic backups (unless someone can recommend an alternative backup software that's free & does it automatically once the system is on & constantly monitors for changes).

looking for something as cheap as possible.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Shamrogue

Lidl and Aldi generally have cheap big hard drives. 500Gb for about €110, but those need to be switched on to be used. Its only 1 switch for him to flick. If you get a USB powered one then your talking about 250Gb storage for about 150 euro.
    I see dabs.ie have a 250Gb Mains powered hard-drive for €70. Half the price of a USB powered external.

Heres a 250Gb USB powered HD €135 +P&P:
    http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4QQ2&CategorySelectedId=11157&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11157,397010000,47210000

Or the 250Gb Mains powered HD €70 + P&P:
    http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4HMF&CategorySelectedId=11157&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11157,397010000,47210000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Thanks for that info shamrogue, He's likely to forget to switch the damn thing on which is why I wanted it to power up at the same time.

I might check ebay for a powered by USB type

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

The WD MyBook Essential Edition will do it for you.

It has a built in sleep function which puts it in to suspend mode when not being accessed but wakes it up when you or a program tries to access it.

Just leave the power button in the on position all the time & it will fire up with the system.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=343423

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Thanks Gadgetman, I was thinking maybe there's some sort of power cable adapter that can plug into the PSU & divert power when the system is turned on, but that looks interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

250gb usb powered 2.5" HD €113 from pixmania

usb powered so will always turn on when pc is turned on and also comes with autp backup software

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

Due to my dad's constant downloading & deleting of files on his PC,

just out of interest are you using the hard drive because he doesnt have enough space on the pc, or is it that the constant downloading and deleting slows the pc? do all computers need a rebuild after a while? what does it consist of?

dont know if this is the correct place to be asking these. meh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭tigerforest

look on amazon for a network attached storage device. it can act like a small server which you can connect a hard drive or printer to and can access it not only from your pc but across the internet too, and it can be always on whilst using very little power. just a suggestion. Also if hes downloading a lot of films etc it might be worth getting a hard drive and a media enclosure so he could connect it to the tv.

Advertisement