Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sql server

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

you want sql server 2005 express, which is free:

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/editions/express/default.mspx

Rgds,

Dave

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Looks free, it's express.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭poissys

thanks a million guys
    lets hope it works!

i installed it successfully, but I cant seem to find it in the list of programmes that I have installed
    where would it be?
    im using visual studio if thats any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

Download Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express from Microsoft. It's another freebie that will let you access your newly installed SQL Server. The alternative is a built in command line tool.

• Advertisement

fasty wrote: »
    Download Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express from Microsoft. It's another freebie that will let you access your newly installed SQL Server. The alternative is a built in command line tool.

got it downloaded it and shes working lovely, just need to read up on how to create a db now and how to connect to asp.net!
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

if your going to be using express because its free can i suggest mysql? Just for the simple fact that express is a VERY stripped down database and can cause a beginner headaches that are not your fault.

thats a very good point, since u sad that iv gone away and downloaded it and its all installing work working the way it should, plus i checked out books onlin e and it seems to be a far more straight forward connection process.
    thanks for your help dude, means a lot!

ChRoMe wrote: »
    if your going to be using express because its free can i suggest mysql? Just for the simple fact that express is a VERY stripped down database and can cause a beginner headaches that are not your fault.

That's not true. SQL Express' biggest limitation are that database size is limited to 4GB and they can't use dual processors. Most of the stuff missing are advances features that the OP won't need to worry about.

For a developer using Visual Studio in a window environment MS SQL is a winner.

Check out this comparison if you don't believe me!

I think the limits are 4GB database size, 1 processor, and 1GB or RAM. There's no DTS and a few other advanced indexing features.

As fasty said, OP will be fine with Express!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

You go for MySQL, it free.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

As is SQL Server Express. And with the management studio express and it's integration with Visual Studio and the .net languages it's far simpler for a beginner to get setup and get to grips with.

do u need to install IIS to get sql to work?
    will iis work with xp home edition, i have heard a few people say it doesnt, but anywhere the iis is available for download it doesnt specify whther the download is for home edition or pro, it just says XP.

You don't need IIS to run SQL express but if you want to run asp or asp.net pages on your computer you need IIS installed. Not sure if SQL Express runs on XP Home. Never tried. I know IIS will only run on XP Pro as I had to upgrade a laptop a few years back.

DJB wrote: »
    You don't need IIS to run SQL express but if you want to run asp or asp.net pages on your computer you need IIS installed. Not sure if SQL Express runs on XP Home. Never tried. I know IIS will only run on XP Pro as I had to upgrade a laptop a few years back.

whats involved in getting an upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭MySelf56

If you want to start/learn asp.net skills with SQL server Express, you can download and use Microsoft Visual Web Developer Express 2005, it has seem less integration with SQL server.

http://www.microsoft.com/express/2005/download/default.aspx

dont forget use http://www.asp.net web site as one-stop resource for ASP .net.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Using Visual Studio you don't need IIS, VS has it's own built in web server.

And if you want to run ASP.Net pages outside of VS you can download Cassini (works on Home aswell)

(edit: I believe the web server in VS is a form of Cassini but not sure)

That's not true. SQL Express' biggest limitation are that database size is limited to 4GB and they can't use dual processors. Most of the stuff missing are advances features that the OP won't need to worry about.

For a developer using Visual Studio in a window environment MS SQL is a winner.

Check out this comparison if you don't believe me!

huh? thats a comparison against the other MS SQL server products. I'd like to see a comparison chart of express against mysql :)

poissys wrote: »
    whats involved in getting an upgrade?
    You need to get pro version (oem) if possible. Don't know if it's still available as Vista is taking over these days. It used to cost about 100-150 for the upgrade.

What are you trying to do anyway? Develop websites, etc?

huh? thats a comparison against the other MS SQL server products. I'd like to see a comparison chart of express against mysql :)

Do you actually think MS SQL 2005 is lacking in features compared to MySQL? :D

• Advertisement

does visual studio automatically install teh .net framework?
    iv decided to use mysql database, and i need to install the odbc connector, but even though i have visual studio install, its stil asking for the .net framework, saying it aint installed.
    wat could this be?

Yeah, it installs the .Net framework... 3.5 for VS2008, 2.0 for VS2005.

When does it tell you .Net isn't installed? To use MySQL with an ODBC connection, do you need to install an ODBC driver? Did that install okay? I've never used MySQL in a Windows environment, I'm used to just using C libraries instead so more info on what goes wrong is needed for me to help.

Also, I still suggest sticking with MS SQL 2005, there are no advantages, in your current situation, in using MySQL instead (and if you're going to be an ASP.Net dev in the future, no point at all imo)

got it, i found this: http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/net/5.1.html

and downloaded it here and it worked perfectly.

i then used the following code, as featured in this tutorial, and im getting up errors saying that:

MySqlConnection and MySqlDataAdapter are not defined.

i have NO idea why these errors could be coming up.

by the way for anyone doing similiar work this tutorial is fantastic:

http://www.15seconds.com/issue/050210.htm

Did you add the required .Net/MySQL DLLs to your project? Googling tell me it's MySql.Data.DLL

Do you actually think MS SQL 2005 is lacking in features compared to MySQL? :D

No but I think Express is. Are you actually reading this thread??

You sound like you need a visit from captain reading comprehension.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

No but I think Express is. Are you actually reading this thread??

You sound like you need a visit from captain reading comprehension.

I think you might need to read the thread. The limitations of Sql 2005 were discussed and considered not of major consequence to the OP or any average web developer learning to develop a website for that matter.

Advertisement