Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handing off code to new developer.

Options
  • 17-01-2008 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭

We're just finishing up a contract with a client. As part of our contract we agreed to assist a new developer should the next contract be awarded to someone else. We see this as some of sort of straightforward hand off process. But I was curious what would the normal approach to this be? We have a very good chance to get the next contract too so I'm just curious really. Would you normally charge for such a hand-off? We have no way to know the technical skill of a new developer so we wouldn't want to be responsible for them should this happen.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I suppose all you can really do is ensure that the code is laid out (and coded) properly and well commented.
    If you can provide a manual of how the system works in terms of process flows, etc and where likely issues will occur.
    If you have a DB then what are each table, view, etc for. If you have different code modules, etc. then what are they for, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

really depends how much you added to your quote for supporting the hand over.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

meglome wrote: »
    We're just finishing up a contract with a client. As part of our contract we agreed to assist a new developer should the next contract be awarded to someone else. We see this as some of sort of straightforward hand off process. But I was curious what would the normal approach to this be? We have a very good chance to get the next contract too so I'm just curious really. Would you normally charge for such a hand-off? We have no way to know the technical skill of a new developer so we wouldn't want to be responsible for them should this happen.

Thoughts?
    I'm just after re-reading your post. Have definitive porposals been put forward? What does the client see this as being? Your description (which may not reflect the contract) all sounds fairly loose. Be careful!

Advertisement