Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for a student re entitlements

Options
  • 17-01-2008 1:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi
    I'm a mature student, I am 25 and in my 2nd year in college. I worked full time for over 5 years after leaving school. I started college in September 2006 and have been working part time since. I'm only working between 8 - 12 hours a week as my course is 30 hours a week.
    Last summer I was able to get extra hours because the shop I work in was short staffed. I talked with my manager a couple of weeks ago and I've been told that I won't get any more than 12 hours a week this summer. This means I'll only be earning about €110 a week.
    I'm not entitled to any grants as I'm living with my parents. I've started looking for a full time postion or a second part time job for the summer. I know it's early and I'll probably find something (at least I hope I do) but if I don't am I entitled to any state benefits?
    Sorry for the long post!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭johnmahon010186

Hi
    I'm a mature student, I am 25 and in my 2nd year in college. I worked full time for over 5 years after leaving school. I started college in September 2006 and have been working part time since. I'm only working between 8 - 12 hours a week as my course is 30 hours a week.
    Last summer I was able to get extra hours because the shop I work in was short staffed. I talked with my manager a couple of weeks ago and I've been told that I won't get any more than 12 hours a week this summer. This means I'll only be earning about €110 a week.
    I'm not entitled to any grants as I'm living with my parents. I've started looking for a full time postion or a second part time job for the summer. I know it's early and I'll probably find something (at least I hope I do) but if I don't am I entitled to any state benefits?
    Sorry for the long post!!

You can sign on casually when you finish college, you might have enough PRSI contributions from your job to get paid unemployment benefit and if you do youll get paid for the days you dont work (excl. sunday) if you work 3 or less days a week.

If you don't have enough PRSI contributions you could apply for unemployment assistance, same idea as benefit except youll have means assessment as well were theyll take the earnings from your job into account plus any other source of income such as savings, SSIA etc.

Advertisement