Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with basic MS Access... I suck...

Options
  • 17-01-2008 1:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I'm pretty sh*t with Access, but a friend is looking for a simple database to store information on cars he's gonna be selling, so I said I'd give it a shot.

Anywho, I've got the basics done, but I'm trying to include something in it.

I've got 2 tables, 'Car List' and 'Old/Sold Cars'. I've got a form for adding and editing the records in 'Car List'. But I want to be able to delete records -- only, rather than deleting them, I just want to cut them from 'Car List' and add them to 'Old/Sold Cars', so that the record is still there for future references.

I've been googling for ages, and found alot of relevent stuff, but most of it seems to require some level of SQL or similar... I really only know the basics of Access, so I'm looking for sort of a walkthrough :o

Cheers for any help... I'm sure I'll have more queries shortly :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Can you post up the table structures?

Personally I'd just have a CarList table and would add a boolean (is it boolean in Access?) field called 'OldSold'. That way you don't have to delete or move anything. You just set the 'OldSold' field to true or false depending on the cars status. What's the difference between old and sold anyway?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I think it's called Yes/No in access

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭AccessQuery

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Hey folks,

I'm pretty sh*t with Access, but a friend is looking for a simple database to store information on cars he's gonna be selling, so I said I'd give it a shot.

Anywho, I've got the basics done, but I'm trying to include something in it.

I've got 2 tables, 'Car List' and 'Old/Sold Cars'. I've got a form for adding and editing the records in 'Car List'. But I want to be able to delete records -- only, rather than deleting them, I just want to cut them from 'Car List' and add them to 'Old/Sold Cars', so that the record is still there for future references.

I've been googling for ages, and found alot of relevent stuff, but most of it seems to require some level of SQL or similar... I really only know the basics of Access, so I'm looking for sort of a walkthrough :o

Cheers for any help... I'm sure I'll have more queries shortly :(

Evening,
    Just been having a very similar conversation with another poster (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54862261#post54862261) and as with the last reply to your posting I'd also strongly recommend the [Yes/No] field option.

It'll save you the hassle of maintaining/managing multiple tables when it's really not needed.

When putting small or in deed any database or project together the 1st rule too apply should be the K.I.S.S principle - Keep It Simple Stupid!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

It'll save you the hassle of maintaining/managing multiple tables when it's really not needed.

Yep. If the same data is stored in two tables then you've got a redundency which is not good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Cheers folks

I went with the advice and put a 'yes/no' field on the table. Now I have 3 queries which show (a) all cars, (b) available cars, and (c) unavailable cars.

I was originally using the reg numbers as the primary key but changed it and added a 'carID' field. I'm sure that'll make it easier in future... It has auto-numbers on it.

At the moment now I'm trying to include a 'toggle' button on the form. By default, new cars/records are set as 'available', but I want to be able to click a button and it becomes 'unavailable', then click again and it's 'available' again... Any clues?

FWIW, I attached the database in case it's any use to you... don't laugh, it's my second ever database :o
    (the 'Main Menu' form isn't used, nor are some of the macros... they'll be deleted later)

• Advertisement

Cheers folks

I went with the advice and put a 'yes/no' field on the table. Now I have 3 queries which show (a) all cars, (b) available cars, and (c) unavailable cars.

I was originally using the reg numbers as the primary key but changed it and added a 'carID' field. I'm sure that'll make it easier in future... It has auto-numbers on it.

At the moment now I'm trying to include a 'toggle' button on the form. By default, new cars/records are set as 'available', but I want to be able to click a button and it becomes 'unavailable', then click again and it's 'available' again... Any clues?

FWIW, I attached the database in case it's any use to you... don't laugh, it's my second ever database :o
    (the 'Main Menu' form isn't used, nor are some of the macros... they'll be deleted later)

Dave,
    Attached is a mod on your db. I've added extra fields your buddy will need otherwise he'll have to be running in and out of the rain to his forecourt!!

I've added a few new fields to the Car List table and mod'ed and added to the Edit Car List form. You've now got a few drop down lists etc. I also added 3 new tables to make life simpler Engine Type, Maker and Transmission.

The master menu also opens when you start the app. This is driven by Tools/Startup.

Have a play and see what you think.

Its great it's Friday!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Jeez, you're a saint, that's eh.... ALOT fancier than my attempt! :D

Thanks for that! Should be exactly what he's after really. I'll have a mess with it and then pass it on.

I appreciate the help!

Dave

Jeez, you're a saint, that's eh.... ALOT fancier than my attempt! :D

Thanks for that! Should be exactly what he's after really. I'll have a mess with it and then pass it on.

I appreciate the help!

Dave

Your welcome.

That's my good deed done for the decade!!

Advertisement