Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mixing DDR1, DDR2 in a P4 PC?

Options
  • 17-01-2008 12:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭

Can i install ddr 1 and ddr2 in the same pc.IS IT SAFE ,will it damage the motherboard .I have 500meg ddr 1,in slot 1 256MEG DDR2 IN SLOT 2.Its A PENTIUM4 pc.IF I install win98se, will it erase the old,my documents,my music folder and the data therein.The old win installation is corrupted,r cd repair option does not work.THE original memory chip is DDR2 RAM.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,104 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

gamer wrote: »
    Can i install ddr 1 and ddr2 in the same pc.IS IT SAFE ,WILL IT DAMAGE THE mobo.I have 500meg ddr 1,in slot 1 256MEG DDR2 IN SLOT 2.Its A PENTIUM4 pc.IF I install win98se, will it erase the old,my documents,my music folder and the data therein.The old win installation is corrupted,r option does not work.THE original memory chipis DDR2 RAM.

Their physically different sizes. Are you sure the board will take both? It's not impossible, but very unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

bios sAYS 512MEG CHIP IS DDR 2,they 2 chips are exactly the same size and shape.actually label on chip says ddr ram 3200.IT MUST BE DDR1,BIOS IS WRONG .

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,104 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

gamer wrote: »
    bios sAYS 512MEG CHIP IS DDR 2,they 2 chips are exactly the same size and shape.actually label on chip says ddr ram 3200.IT MUST BE DDR1,BIOS IS WRONG .

Or it's DDR2 3200.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Ok well first of all, if you're reinstalling Win98se, it's not installing onto those memory chips, it's installing onto the hard-disk.

You can save you're old documents but it may take time. Best bet is a linux live disk.

Advertisement