Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMV classics range

Options
  • 16-01-2008 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭

Saw this range in HMV today, just wondering what they're like? I usually would get Naxos but these have a better range. Any experiences with them? Good / Bad??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Indifferent, personally. Not excellent, but far from bad.

I got some Rachmaninov, his concertos and preludes. Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini as well. Pretty god damn decent for the price.

What are you looking at in particular?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Eh Shostakovich and Beethoven's 1st - 3rd. Cheaper the better because I am presently skint and in need of good music.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

Naxos are better for cheaper (they were a euro cheaper last time I looked). Though in fairness occasionally you find an excellent recording hidden among the HMVs. But sadly, the old HMV Classics series was far better, but was phased out a few years back.

I just bought Shostakovich's Piano Concertos 1 and 2, Jazz Suite No.1, and Tahiti Trot. For 8 euro. And the recording (HMV) is actually quite good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

ooooooo, great choice! Love those concertos. Can't go wrong for that price.

• Advertisement

AND I only realised it also has a movement from ''The Unforgettable Year 1919 Suite'' on it. Talk about value! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I have all the Beethoven symphs by Naxos and also the ones conducted by Norrignton. Naxos ones are much, much better.

Just feels to me like everything is recorded better.

Well the last Naxos I bought was Holst's ''Planets'' suite and it was a VERY good recording. HMV ain't bad though!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

Naxos are particularly good for obscurities. That's what they're best for.

Advertisement