Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WARNING of bank Scam

Options
  • 16-01-2008 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Im warning anyone living in Tipperary County

My friend lives in Cashel and went to the bank last weekend to withdraw money- there was a skimmer on the ATM and his card was copied and his account was cleared 25 grand was stolen out of his account which his dad had left him in his will

Be careful all just warning ya

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Harsh. Sadly these are becoming more and more frequent.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,906 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

If his card was skimmed, his bank will most likely refund the money. Good reason to always cover your hand while putting your pin in at the atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 P_a_t_o_b_r_i_e

Toots85 wrote: »
    If his card was skimmed, his bank will most likely refund the money. Good reason to always cover your hand while putting your pin in at the atm.

are you sure? where did you hear that?

there are two parts to the scam,

secret card reader in front of the real ATM & camera mounted above.

Can anyone shed some light on this, is it true?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Croc

It can't be, certainly not 25k, if they scammed the card then they cloned it and all u can take out on a Card is a max of 700 a day

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Not doubting you but how did they get 25k out of his account in a week? Is there not a daily limit on atm withdrawals of around €700?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

If its proved that he was skimmed then the bank may refund via an insurance policy claim.
    If you do find a fraudulent transaction, report it to your bank immediately. Your bank is required to refund your money as long as you notify the bank within 60 days of receiving your statement. However, the sooner you begin the process, the faster action can be taken to stop the fraud.

Linkeh - don't know if thats a trusted source btw.

Edit - duh, forgot about the €700 daily limit. Maybe the OP meant €2,500?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Which bank op? Cos my mam works in AIB cashel and she says your story smells like the poo of a bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Croc

No he clearly said "25 Grand"

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,906 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I used to process the card skimming cases in my branch (I work in the bank), and when the fraud dept can establish that the transactions were done with the skimmed card, they refunded the customers in full. However the biggest one I've seen was for 12.5k. How long were they taking money until your mate realised what had happened? The max you can take out on an atm card in a day is between 700 and 1000, so even at the 1000 mark, it would have taken nearly a month before your mate copped?? Can you explain a little more of what happened? Feel free to PM me if you want. Which bank does ur friend use?

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Which bank op? Cos my mam works in AIB cashel and she says your story smells like the poo of a bull.

Oh does she now, was she there? NO!!!

its 25 grand i dont know how they took it out but they did, im going by what he told me

It was the BOI on the Main Street

Stekelly wrote: »
    Not doubting you but how did they get 25k out of his account in a week? Is there not a daily limit on atm withdrawals of around €700?

no idea im going on what he told me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

last weekend, and they took it out in a week, and somebody keeps 25k in their current account. Yeah that happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

You don't need to take it from the ATM.
    If you have the balls, or are gonna leave the country straight away, you can go into the bank itself and empty the account. Providing you have a decent quality fake card of course.

I work for ***, used to work the fraud cases for my branch. Where does ur friend bank? (BOI, AIB etc?) I'm having trouble understanding how they got 25k out of the account in a week. With most cards the max withdrawal is 700 a day, so in a week the max they could have gotten is 4900. Is he sure his card was skimmed that day in Cashel? Often I saw cases where the card had been skimmed weeks or months before and the scammers waited a while before using the card.

OP, I tried to reply to your PM, but it says that you have elected not to receive personal messages, so if you want me to reply by PM, ul need to change your settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Terry wrote: »
    If you have the balls, or are gonna leave the country straight away, you can go into the bank itself and empty the account. Providing you have a decent quality fake card of course.

balls? you would want to be very stupid seeing as you would be on security camera, also the fact that they are likely to ask for ID if you withdrawing a large amount. I have been asked for ID taking out 1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

if it was your Laser card that got skimmed, you could lose a lot.

Highly unlikely though, Plus assumig the card was skimmed on Saturday of lastweek and they had the card and were withdrawing the same day, up to and including today , your talking a max of 13k. He then would have had to go into the bank and withdraw another €12k without raiseing suspicion. Plus I'd say if they were going to actually go into the bank it's highly unlikely they would do it after they had tarted withdrawing from atms cos it's fairly likely to have been reported.

Anyway, do they actually/are they capable of makign up the full card to look real and how woudl they know which bank and what type of card it was (laser etc).

I call shenanigans on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Could have been a credit card.

Edit: all BOI or AIB (I can never remember which bank I'm with. For those in Leixlip, it's the one on the main street) customers were recently issued with laser cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

The OP is banned for being a previously banned user - pepper.

Could have been a credit card.

Edit: all BOI or AIB (I can never remember which bank I'm with. For those in Leixlip, it's the one on the main street) customers were recently issued with laser cards.

I wasnt,, I'm boi.

The cards the scammers use are usually Tesco/Dunnes card with the details from the real mag strip copied on, so the liklihood of them having the bawls to go into a bank and draw the money is between slim and none. The bank officials would call the Gardai. Again, it's unusual for it to happen with the scammers using the laser in shops, as it would arouse suspicion from staff. You can't pay for goods with a Tesco Clubcard. The usual thing you see is a load of ATM withdrawals for 700 (one a day, usually around midnight).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Goodbye returningbannedmuppet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement