Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gps

Options
  • 16-01-2008 5:32pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 351 ✭✭

Hi guys - was on a few months back about developing software for GPS tracking of a phone. Didn't get much help (sorry the truth hurts :)) but did get a few helpful pointers that have led me to where I am now. So I'm going to be really cheeky and look for more help on something new.

I have a java mobile app (J2ME) running on a Nokia N95 which sends a GPS string databurst to a socket and a java app running on a webserver (J2EE) which listens for the databurst. All fine and dandy.

Here's the problem - if I have more than one phone I need a way to uniquely identify the databurst so that I know which one corresponds to which phone (I was hoping to use the IMEI). I can't find any documentation anywhere on how to access phone variables from J2ME.

Does anyone know of anyway to access phone variables (either the IMEI or the phone number) so that I can identify the databurst? Alternatively is there a way to store data persistently on the phone (in this case I'd have the user set up the midlet on first run and store the IMEI from his/her entry)

Many thanks in advance for your help - well deserved any comments on my cheekiness :p

-RD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Sneaky_Russian

yeah google is a tricky one to master alright -
    Sorry truth hurts :-)

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=phone+imei+nokia+j2me&meta=

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 351 ✭✭ron_darrell

Zing Russian very zing :) However, (just to burst your bubble :)) have googled the same sites, tried the same methods and nada. Seems to be a problem with the OS on the N95. Thanks anyways but was looking for a reply from someone who had maybe some hands on experience with the same type of problem.

-RD

Advertisement