Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiping PC before re-install

Options
  • 16-01-2008 5:02pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Excuse my writing ability it is crap!

Indeed I am trying to backup users data but the files are everywhere

Whats the best course of action

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

What is it exactly that you want to do?
    Your thread makes no sense.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Is there a question somewhere in all of this or am i missing something? Otherwise its gonna be locked by a mod for being pointless.

(didnt see your post garthy was writing mine at the time)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭buildabong

Sounds like he is trying to backup all the users data but the files are everywhere.

In this case the best thing to do is removed the harddrive and plug it into another PC. Then just dump any non system folders into one folder on the other PC. Rebuild and dump that same folder back onto the PC (let the owner sort out the folders them self). - Well that's what I would do.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

use an external hard drive if you have one, copy anything they want to keep to that, wipe the hard drive reintall windows and then copy back what they want to keep. Its unlikely those pictures etc take up an awful lot of space anyways so a few dvds might even do the job, as for the programs etc you can reinstall those after windows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

Get 500 gig external drive from peats 105,euro usb type,copy,all my documents,folder, my music,pictures,my videos,etc, into call it,my docs folder on new drive.download drivermax free program ,it backups upall the pc drivers into my drivers folder ,copy to new drive.winxp has a files and settings transfer wizard use that.COPY ALL THE PC DATA FILES,YOU CAN COPY EVERYTHING ON THE PC,but no point copying c windows,or temp internet files, copy c/programs folder,excel folders,all outlookfiles/contacts,settings.
    Google how to backup winxp , and transfer winxp data to new pc.
    PC WORLD have 500 gig drives APPROX 115EURO.
    copy all the folders ,re contact settings for outlook.

• Advertisement
Advertisement