Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens at a registry office wedding?

Options
  • 16-01-2008 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

HI
    I am hoping to get married in the registry office in Wicklow in May. I am going down to meet the registrar next month. we want a small low key affair. So much so that we haven't actually told anyone our plans yet. But what happens at the registry office? Is it the same as a church?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭helios

Not much happens at a registrar's wedding. Did one myself a few years back... You stand up with the registrar, repeat the 'vows' that are written, bish bash bosh, done. You can do your own vows and have music, but they specifically won't allow *any* religious content...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭girliegirl

Ive never been but i think it's about 10-15 minutes and alot more "formal" than a church wedding, in that basically all you do is say "I do" and sign the register and then your shepharded out so the next couple can get in...

Heard this from a friend who may have had a bad experience, so feel free to prove me wrong other boardies!!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭spud06

Is the Dublin one any better than the Wicklow one?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

My father got married at one last year, it was nice (although the waiting room was a bit scruffy). Big wooden table at the top of the room with leather chairs for the bride and groom and a "cinema style" seating for the family and friends. But no popcorn :) it lasted about 20 - 25 minutes overall.

It was nice, dignified and formal, you choose the music and bring it yourself, and they give you 15 minutes or so to take some pictures inside the office

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

I haven't been to a registry wedding but it does seem to be down to what the bride and groom want to do on the day.

Friends of mine decided they didn't want to do the 'whole church thing'. So they had a registry office ceremony on the Friday with family and a few very close friends. But they decided not to exchange rings at the ceremony. They then had a simple ceremony where they did exchange rings on the Sunday with nearly 200 guests and had the wedding reception afterwards.

• Advertisement
Advertisement