Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow Internet - Only on Browsing

Options
  • 16-01-2008 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭

Hello,

My internet problems continue. Basically I'm getting fine speeds when downloading (300kbps) However my browsing is really really slow. Even if I'm not downloading anything it may take up to 15 seconds to load a page, and sometimes it just taps out and doesn't bother loading. I've run Spybot, Adaware and C cleaner and that doesn't seem to help. Currently running IE7, but have installed Firefox to see if it'll help. My flat mate is on a mac and saud that his browsing was slow too, so maybe it's a faulty router? Although surely the download speed would be affected too?

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've e-mailed pipex to see if they know of any problems. I might cry I'm not used to waiting 10 seconds for a page to load :(

Thanks
    John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

It's the same speed on firefox :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Might be dodgy DNS maybe? Your router could be waiting for the primary DNS server to time out before moving on and sending requests to the secondary one. That would manifest itself in pages being slow to load but downloads being the same, as once the name is resolved things should work as normal.

To see if this is the case change your TCP IP settings to use OpenDNS instead of your router/ISP's DNS.

Set your primary and secondary DNS servers to the following to do this:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

I see the a similar issue when using either browser on my home pc though the pages eveventually load. Am suspicious that it my be the anti virus software (avg) checking everything first.
    It happens on my work pc as well but only after a long time of Firefox being open with a lot of tabs for a long time and having a bloated memory footprint. Shutting down and restarting firefox normaly sorts it in this case.

Stephen, are those DNS changes on the router or pc? If on the router could that effect xbox live?

Stephen wrote: »
    Might be dodgy DNS maybe? Your router could be waiting for the primary DNS server to time out before moving on and sending requests to the secondary one. That would manifest itself in pages being slow to load but downloads being the same, as once the name is resolved things should work as normal.

To see if this is the case change your TCP IP settings to use OpenDNS instead of your router/ISP's DNS.

Set your primary and secondary DNS servers to the following to do this:

Did what you suggested - Can't see any improvement. When I click a link it just says "waiting for www.ebay.co.uk" in the browser status bar. Then it loads like 1 picture a second on the site - It's happening with all the sites I'm going to. Google home page loads relatively fast but nothing like it did about 3 days ago :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

There could be a problem with any add-ons you have.

Or a security program running with your browser may be responsible.

• Advertisement

I have no Add on's - At least I don't think I have. I've quit AVG and that's not helped, also I have the phising filter thingy in IE disabled and that hasn't helped. Basically I don't think anything has changed on my PC to affect the connection. Maybe it's a problem at Pipex's end. I'm at work now, I'll look into it more when I get home.

If anyone else hasa suggestion it's appreciated.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

tried open dns ?

Yea, gave it a go as I said above and it had no effect. Starting to think it might be the router. As when I got in from work tonight my pc wasn't connecting to the net at all. I rebooted the router and it's working again. It's odd that download speeds on p2p don't seem to be affected. Anyway, will ring pipex tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Exit all P2P programs on both comps including any Torrent programs and see if that speeds up your browsing. Programs like that open a lot of nodes which slow down other programs access to internet bandwidth.

It all seem to be better now. Fingers crossed. Looks like it was a problem with Pipex. They never replied to my e-mail. But it's working again so :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement