Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

djouce car parks

Options
  • 16-01-2008 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi all, I am planning to go up djouce soon, and i want to go up the sleepers route, I was wondering what is the best car park/layby for this, and is it easily recognisable at night?
    Would the trail be easy to follow in the dark?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Not quite sure why you'd want to go up Djouce in the dark, but if you want to go up the route following the sleepers, the car park you want is on the Sally Gap Road, the second one on the right about 1 km past the Pier Gates if you know where that is. Follow the Wicklow Way signs for a bit until you pick up the sleepers, and that takes you almost to the foot of Djouce. There's a path junction there with a path there that goes off right skirting around the base of Djouce, but you need to carry straight on up to the summit (no boardwalk there).

Grid reference for the carpark is O 169 074.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Alun wrote: »
    Not quite sure why you'd want to go up Djouce in the dark.

Nite Hike, they are great fun:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭trentv

You should try it sometime, hiking at night is beautiful, and djouce in particular while going up by Loch Té with the moon is out is spectacular.

Thanks for all the info though, perfect directions, a further question... I have never started from this car park, is it open or is the start of the walk under cover of trees?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

trentv wrote: »
    ...and is it easily recognisable at night?
    Would the trail be easy to follow in the dark?
    Thanks!

Legendary, bring a torch, and watch out for those people in the trees. You know, the ones who touch your tent at night!

Nite Hike, they are great fun:D
    Being the masochist that I am, they're only fun if you have to do some serious navigating as well. Plodding up the boardwalk to Djouce in the dark doesn't fit the bill I'm afraid :)

• Advertisement

trentv wrote: »
    Thanks for all the info though, perfect directions, a further question... I have never started from this car park, is it open or is the start of the walk under cover of trees?
    There's tree cover for a very short part at the beginning although they've been doing some felling around there recently, so it's not quite as covered as it used to be. After that though you're right out in the open and quite exposed, and if the weather's bad it can be very unpleasant. The wind seems to blow predominantly across the route of the boardwalk, so staying on it can be difficult, and you can easily be blown off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭trentv

Great, thanks all, I think i'm set to go!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

Legendary, bring a torch, and watch out for those people in the trees. You know, the ones who touch your tent at night!

Lol!
    You should try it sometime, hiking at night is beautiful, and djouce in particular while going up by Loch Té with the moon is out is spectacular.

Seconded, looking at lough tay from djouce, on a clear night with a full moon reflected in the water, is amazing.

Advertisement