Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant crashing/disk check freezing

Options
  • 15-01-2008 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭

Ok, So I've had this problem for a small while but it's recently gotten very bad. When I'd be surfing or listening to music, my mouse and keyboard would randomly stop working, accompanied by the USB device disconnected sound. Then they'd come back on after a minute, accompanied by the USB device connected sound.

But they'd soon go again, then the computer would lock up totally, stopping whatever music was playing, and shortly thereafter just switch itself off. When I'd power it up again it'd just turn off when it reached the windows loading screen. I'd turn it on again and it'd usually get to the disk check, but it'd always freeze and I'd have to reboot, and skip the disk check next time round.

This problem has gotten to the point where my computer won't go more than about 5 or ten minutes without locking up and crashing.

Thanks for your help! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

short story-

it probably needs a new hard drive, they are pretty cheap anyway

i'd say swap the drive with a new one then install windows, apps and antivirus and then plug in the old drive to another s-ata cable, or your cd-roms ide connectors, and copy over any old files you want (espicially c:\documents and settings\"your username"\my documents

long story...

the usb disconnects sounds remind me of a drive the i had that a faulty circut board, i had the same problem before and was able to swap the board with an identical drive.

are you hearing the 3 clicks of death, its where the drive stops making the normal scratching noises, and just makes 3 very obvious clicks, then pauses for about 5 seconds and does it again. if you hear that its best to replace the drive

maybe this thread could be moved elsewhere, seen as a malware\virii problem won't cause the scandisk to fail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

I haven't heard any clicks of death... I have 2 40GB hard drives, which ARE pretty old, one of them is partitioned in two, with windows and My Documents on a smallish partition, and music/apps/whatever on the other partition/drive. Could i put everything on the drive that still appears to be good (the one that windows isn't installed on) and install windows on it?

I didn't think a faulty HD could cause USB devices to crash, but ya learn something new every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

hahaha took me a second to figure out what ya mean, no a pc makes thats sound when certain hardware disconnects, which is common on usb devices

actually re-seat( unplug/then plug) all the cables to your hardrives and the ribbon cables to the mb

it is possibal to install windows to a dirve without formatting it, just read the prompts carefully, best to backup everything to another pc first though

Advertisement