Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anywhere to recylce Polystyrene?

Options
  • 15-01-2008 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭

Hello folks,

I have a car boot full of polystyrene from some christmas presents and new TV and want to try and recycle it, get rid of it other than in the black wheelie bin.

I brought it to the Coolmine Recycle Centre yesterday and was told they don't take it. One of the council guys there said Power City take it but it can't see them taking it unless you bought goods from then. I can hardly turn up, walk into the shop, drop the polystyrene and walk out.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

To be honest, they don't check at all in Power City. All the packaging is dumped just inside the front door so you could easily head over there and leave it. If you're still not inclined to do so, the retailer from whom you bought your tv is obliged to take back any packaging from it, including polystyrene and heavy duty cardboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Murt10

zaph wrote: »
    .... the retailer from whom you bought your tv is obliged to take back any packaging from it, including polystyrene and heavy duty cardboard.

Not so I'm afraid, if the retailer is a member of Repak.

I had a large item from Dunnes delivered before Christmas and wanted them to take the packing back. They refused saying that they were members of Repak and wern't obliged to take anything back.

I checked it out and found out they were right. I complained to the 3 local TD's and to Roderick O'Gorman of the Green Party. I got replies back from John Gormley TD Minister for the Environment, saying that he's looking at it, and may do somethin about it in the future.

Total cop out from a so called Green Minister for the Environment, allowing big business to pay a pittance to some private company, and put the responsibility for disposing of the waste packaging back on the purchaser.

In the end I had to dump the stuff myself. Cardboard to Domastown and polystyrene to Power City.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Murt10 wrote: »
    Not so I'm afraid, if the retailer is a member of Repak.

Really? That's pretty shabby. How are consumers supposed to know if a retailer is a member of Repak? And what difference should it make anyway, the retailer should be obliged to take the packaging and have Repak collect it. It's not like consumers have access to Repak's recycling centres, to the best of my knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭ongarite

Cool, thanks for the info. I'll take Power City up on their generous offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

zaph wrote: »
    Really? That's pretty shabby. How are consumers supposed to know if a retailer is a member of Repak? And what difference should it make anyway, the retailer should be obliged to take the packaging and have Repak collect it. It's not like consumers have access to Repak's recycling centres, to the best of my knowledge.

They sometimes have a little green sticker on the front door of the shop saying this. I noticed Dunnes had this sticker as I was stung last year on something like this.

Anyway Power city in Coolmine just pop it in the box on the inside of the door.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I got replies back from John Gormley TD Minister for the Environment, saying that he's looking at it, and may do somethin about it in the future.

Yeah, he'll probably ban the sale of televisions to reduce packaging waste. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

From a customers point of view REPAK is nothing more than a scam. Thank God for Power city who decided it's cheaper to accept waste from people that want to get rid of it.

I think we'd still be waiting for Gormleys answer to this.

The only thing the Greens are repackaging and recycling is abject surrender as a point of principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Total cop out from a so called Green Minister for the Environment, allowing big business to pay a pittance to some private company, and put the responsibility for disposing of the waste packaging back on the purchaser.
    The Green Party are not responsible for the Waste Management (Packaging) Regulations of 1997 that spawned Repak.

I often wonder what Power City do with the returned packaging - do they just push it to landfill or do they actually send it to recycling?
    The only thing the Greens are repackaging and recycling is abject surrender as a point of principle.
    While they have had to sacrifice some of their goals to go into Government, they are getting more done there than if they were in the Opposition.
    IMO Fingal are doing recycling a disservice with their new annual charge!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

daymobrew wrote: »
    The Green Party are not responsible for the Waste Management (Packaging) Regulations of 1997 that spawned Repak.

I often wonder what Power City do with the returned packaging - do they just push it to landfill or do they actually send it to recycling?
    I think they do send it to recycling.
    daymobrew wrote: »
    IMO Fingal are doing recycling a disservice with their new annual charge!

I'm with you on that one. It's a pity that Citybin don't do D 15. I just checked their website. If they did I'd, join them on the spot.

Advertisement