Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHP Login Error

Options
  • 15-01-2008 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

Just trying to get a simple login working. Keep getting this error. Can anyone see whats wrong cause I can't.

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /var/www/testWebPage/login.php on line 19

Line 19 is the $query line. If i highlight out that line I get the same error on the $error = “Bad Login”; line of code.

Cheers for any help
    <?php

error_reporting(E_ALL);
    //Database Information

$dbhost = "localhost";
    $dbname = "login";
    $dbuser = "root";
    $dbpass = "";

//Connect to database

mysql_connect ( $dbhost, $dbuser, $dbpass)or die("Could not connect: ".mysql_error());
    mysql_select_db($dbname) or die(mysql_error());

session_start();
    $username = $_POST[&#8216;username&#8217;];
    $password = md5($_POST[&#8216;password&#8217;]);

$query = &#8220;select * from users where username=&#8217;$username&#8217; and password=&#8217;$password&#8217;&#8221;;

$result = mysql_query($query);

if (mysql_num_rows($result) != 1) {
    $error = &#8220;Bad Login&#8221;;
        include &#8220;login.html&#8221;;

} else {
        $_SESSION[&#8216;username&#8217;] = &#8220;$username&#8221;;
        include &#8220;memberspage.php&#8221;;
    }

?>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

my php isnt the strongest so someone correct me if im wrong...

but should your $query line not be “select * from users where username=’".$username."’ and password=’".$password."' ”;

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

PHP doesn't recognise “ as a string delimiter. You'll have to replace each instance of this with " (shift + 2).

nialo - PHP will recognise variables inline in strings. You really only need to concatenate where you're applying a function to the variable or extracting values from an array.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭apoch632

Tried that got the same error.

Cheers anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭apoch632

seamus wrote: »
    PHP doesn't recognise “ as a string delimiter. You'll have to replace each instance of this with " (shift + 2).

nialo - PHP will recognise variables inline in strings. You really only need to concatenate where you're applying a function to the variable or extracting values from an array.

Thanks man.
    That done the trick.

Thats what i get for copy and pasting

• Registered Users Posts: 32 V1P3R

you may also want to check the $username var and $password var as they have not been validated and are vulnerable to SQL injection.

// This will validate the input.
    $username = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST);
    $password = mysql_real_escape_string(md5($_POST));

• Advertisement
Advertisement