Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor or power brick problem?

Options
  • 15-01-2008 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭

I've a Samsung monitor that is about 3.5 years old. Was working fine up until Saturday and never gave a single problem. On Sunday I turn on the PC and pushed the button on the monitor but nothing happened. Normally a green power light would come on to indicate power, so I'm guessing this may be a problem with the power brick?

Any way to test this? Really annoying timing as my laptop packed it in last week so I'm now without any system :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Monitors normally have a mains (220V~) connection. Check the fuse at the plug or try with another power cord.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

degsie wrote: »
    Monitors normally have a mains (220V~) connection. Check the fuse at the plug or try with another power cord.

It has a power adaptor just like a laptop so trying to figure out if it's the adaptor or monitor that has packed it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Get a loan of a volt meter below:
    meter.jpg
    Set the voltage to 20V assuming that is the output voltage
    from the power adapter to the monitor.
    Put one of the probes inside the connector and then touch the
    other probe off the metal outer part of the connector.
    Dont worry about which way round you do it, doesn't matter
    as the result will be the same. If the power supply is working
    then you will get a -/+ value of voltage.
    This will isolate the the location of the problem if you know that
    the power supply is definitely working or not .

Advertisement