Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JDBC help, need DB

Options
  • 14-01-2008 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to do a JDBC tutorial. Basically trying to write a JAVA program which will login to a db and execute some basic SQL. Problem is I've no db to login to. I want to find out if there's some free db I can download to my local machine and use this to test my program?

The tutorial I'm doing asks me to connect to this db using an ODBC-JDBC bridge if that makes any sense.

I know this is probably fairly basic stuff but it's been ages since I looked at databases.

Much obliged.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Download MySQL. That will do the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭information

if you are using the odbc-jdbc bridge you don't need any database.

just create an access file(even a text file can be used), set it up in the odbc connections and thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

Make one in Access.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

spectre wrote: »
    I've no db to login to. I want to find out if there's some free db I can download to my local machine and use this to test my program?
    fasty wrote: »
    Make one in Access.

Last time I checked, Access wasn't free.

Spectre - there are loads of free databases you can download - MySql, Postgres (:D) SQL Server Express, even Oracle do a free, cut-down version.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Last time I checked, Access wasn't free.

Haha, maybe the original poster has it installed and didn't realize you could use it to make a DB that would work with JDBC. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

fasty wrote: »
    Haha, maybe the original poster has it installed and didn't realize you could use it to make a DB that would work with JDBC. :rolleyes:
    Still isn't free though is it?

Maybe not, but perhaps a bit less pedantry will save the poor chap having to install and configure MySQL or similar.

Yeah true.
    But then again, getting familar with MySQL isn't such a bad thing after. Plus it is fairly simple to install.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Yeah true.
    But then again, getting familar with MySQL isn't such a bit thing after. Plus it is fairly simple to install.

and a damn side nicer than Access too. Free databases FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭lukin

Try HSQLDB. It's an RDBMS written in Java so it integrates well with JDBC.

• Advertisement
Advertisement