Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IDE/Sata boot priority

Options
  • 14-01-2008 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭

Just wondering. Do SATA hard drives have boot priority by default over IDE one's?

All the SATA ports are taken up on my motherboard. I wish to add a hardrive solely for Operating system. the IDE is not used at all, therefore if install XP onto the IDE drive should it work and boot when vista is removed from the SATA hardrive?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

I installed windows on c:drive ide.then rebooted and installed d sata.I PRESUME you can use ,bios,options to set priority.IF you want,pc looks for windows boot os anyway,its not gonna boot from d ,since it has no os,just data,documents etc.Unless you install a boot,os on d.I think sata boot mode is just set in the bios.Since SATA has nojumpers,for master,slave.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Boot priority is set in the BIOS. So Yes the configuration you require will work.

Cal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Super. Saves me having to buy a new motherboard just for another SATA port then lol!

Advertisement