Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your own blonde moment..

Options
  • 14-01-2008 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,810 ✭✭✭✭

For the un-omnipotent (yes.. i meant the sexual disorder) among us, ever say something really stupid completely unaware of the stupidity of the comment? Basically, a blonde moment!

For me, I was looking at a pack of chocolate bars (Breakaway bars, if you must know) in Dunnes at the weekend. And there was 9 bars in the pack. And stated there was 50% free.

To which I thought: 9 / 2 = 4 and a half.

And mentioned to my girlfriend: how exactly do they give you that half a bar free? She stood there in silence and reminded me that it was originally 6 bars and the 50% extra free made it 9. Then, the mathematician inside me took over:

6 / 2 = 3

Original 6 + 3 Extra = 9 BARS! ** ding ding ding **

Needless to say.. I'm currently working through my 5 times tables to ensure such a difficulty with other Maths problems doesn't happen again. Next are fractions and "magic squares".

Anyways.. any blonde moments you care to share?

PS - this is not a thread for the blondes on Boards.ie to come out in force with their "not all blondes are dumb". That's neither here nor there... though ye're not exactly the smartest of the species!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

"Yar!! *Points at car* There be some form of land boat, with circles for wheels!"

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

"Yar!! *Points at car* There be some form of land boat, with circles for wheels!"

[SIZE=-1]Avast, ye be a scurvy-ridden [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]malingering[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] landlubber![/SIZE]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

basquille wrote: »

For me, I was looking at a pack of chocolate bars (Breakaway bars, if you must know) in Dunnes at the weekend. And there was 9 bars in the pack. And stated there was 50% free.

To which I thought: 9 / 2 = 4 and a half.

And mentioned to my girlfriend: how exactly do they give you that half a bar free? She stood there in silence and reminded me that it was originally 6 bars and the 50% extra free made it 9. Then, the mathematician inside me took over:

6 / 2 = 3

Original 6 + 3 Extra = 9 BARS! ** ding ding ding **

No joke but I seriousy don't get that! Maybe it's the way you told it! You're use of the english language is DESPERATE! :D

Care to explain in simpler terms?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    No joke but I seriousy don't get that! Maybe it's the way you told it! You're use of the english language is DESPERATE! :D

50% of 6=3

50% extra free in a 6 pack= 6+ (50% of 6)= 6 + 3 = 9

also, if you're going to say that his use of the language is desperate, then you should correct the spelling of seriously and use "Your" instead of "You're" :D

unless I'm missing the deliberate irony....

• Registered Users Posts: 30,080 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Duh, you should have opened the packet and taken the 3 free bars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

You're use of the english language is DESPERATE! :D

You are use of the english language is desperate!

Anyway, biggest blonde moment I had is confusing limerick for kilkenny (dont ask how).. so I got a tad confused driving out of cork, and saw a signpost for the road to limerick, and off I went, assuming it wouldnt add too long onto my trip to Waterford.. About 45mins later, having drove at 100km/h on the dual carriageway in the pissing rain (motorbike), I decided to pull in and ask for directions.

Cue driving another 2 and a half hours in the pissing rain to get back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,810 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Quiet down blonde! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Dyed my hair blonde. First thing I did was walk into a shop and knock over a display of cakes. "This is not going to go well," I said to myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

He explained it in very understandable terms.
    At least to me who lived in a non-anglophone country.

My blonde moment:
    I always walk into lamposts.
    I hate the things.

An ocetegenarian once mistook me for bookshop staff and asked me to help her choose her husband a present. I absentmindedly reccomended a Viz swearing dictionary (Profanisaurus) I was snapped out of my reverie when my friend said "Cian, why the hell did you do that.

*New addition* Just deleted every single song, photo and video from my mp3 player.Dammit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

Last year I got confused about the times for my college exams and I ended up missing one! I still kick myself every time I think about it and will never live it down.:o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

At least to me who lived in a non-anglophone country.

(SNIP)

"Cian,

Either I'm having my own blonde moment here, or how does someone who lives in a non anglophone country get an entirely Irish name (as this as an anglophone country...) :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭kirving

In Galway(Im from Dublin) with 2 of my friends, and I look at a D reg car and genuinley ask, "Where's "D" from, is it Derry!?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

people's republic of connemara ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Skellington

eolhc wrote: »
    Duh, you should have opened the packet and taken the 3 free bars.
    Security staff at Dunnes frown upon this:(.

My biggest blonde moment that I can remember anyway happened as I was cycling home one day and saw a brick on the road up ahead. I thought to myself about how painful it'd be to hit it and fall at the speed I was going. Next thing I knew I was on the ground with the bike wrapped around me and in a lot of pain. When a guy came over to help me up, all I could say was "did I fall?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

for me it was watching my first NFL match.

ME:how long is a match?

Friend: its 15 minutes a quarter

ME:how many quarters is there?

took me a long, long time to live that one down.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I was in Belguim on a long holiday and got out my aquafresh pump toothpaste. Toothpaste wasn't really coming out and I say to my friend:

'Maybe the pump doesnt work in these countries' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

When I occasionally bump into mannequins in shops I normally apologise to them thinking they are real people.

Sometimes when I open a yoghurt I throw the tub in the bin instead of the lid and stand there wondering what went wrong.

Once while watching the news I commented to my brother who was nine at the time and had more sense then me, 'Why has David Blunkett always got that dog with him?'. It never occurred to me that he was blind.

And my hair is actually dyed blonde not real at all. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I was at a firends wedding recently.

Being the getlemen at the table and trying to get stuck into a lady at my table (my gf now) I offered to pour her a glass of wine.

I tired to pour some wine and nothing came out and I couldnt figure it out to the laughter of ever one at the table. Turns out the cap was on. Wouldnt mind but that was the first of many times that happened that night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Not mine but a friend... anyway

My sister and him were over in sweden with me and it was -2 or something and she asked if its below zero why aren't the puddles frozen to which he replied its probably used to the cold :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 DinosaursAttack

hay guyz whats going on in this thread, i don't understand? herf durf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

kev_s88 wrote: »
    for me it was watching my first NFL match.

ME:how long is a match?

Friend: its 15 minutes a quarter

ME:how many quarters is there?

took me a long, long time to live that one down.

Hey, can we copy this over to the American Football forum? :D

I don't think that could be managed to your satisfaction. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

MYOB wrote: »
    Either I'm having my own blonde moment here, or how does someone who lives in a non anglophone country get an entirely Irish name (as this as an anglophone country...) :confused:

I am indeed Irish but was educated in foreign countrys.

Basically I learnt English in foreign schools (and therefore was schooled in a more rigid way than the dialect most people know)

Despite this, I was still able to understand the OP and would have been less likely than Cheeky-Gal (Who I assume is Irish and grew up here) to be able to skirt around any grammar problems.

Slow coach wrote: »
    Hey, can we copy this over to the American Football forum? :D

if you really want to yeah.bear in mind that quote was made about 4 years ago and i am now well up to scratch on my American Rugby Rules

kev_s88 wrote: »
    ...up to scratch on my American Rugby Rules

Only kidding. But this one is definitely going in. You will be hung, drawn and quartered for that (sacked too). ;)

Slow coach wrote: »
    Only kidding. But this one is definitely going in. You will be hung, drawn and quartered for that (sacked too). ;)

terrible attempt at humour there Slow Coach.so terrible it actually made me laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I have been known to pour myself a glass of milk in the mornings and then pour orange juice onto my porridge. The worst thing is when you don't notice anything wrong until your third mouthful of orange-porridge... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I have been known to pour myself a glass of milk in the mornings and then pour orange juice onto my porridge. The worst thing is when you don't notice anything wrong until your third mouthful of orange-porridge... :o

Awesome....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I am indeed Irish but was educated in foreign countrys.

Right, so did you have as many people mangle our shared first name as I got in school in Manchester? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I've been known to tear the top off a packet of sugar and then tip it into the bin instead of into my coffee. And then look blankly at the sugar and wonder what went wrong.
    One time that I particularly kicked myself over, I needed to unlock the back door, but you couldn't lock/unlock it from the inside, so I went down the hall, out the front door, went all the way around the house and unlocked the back door, and then instead of simply opening the door and stepping straight into the room i wanted to be in, walked all the way back round the house, in the front door and down the hall into the room that the back door opened off. Jesus like.

Dunno if it counts as a blonde moment, but me and my boyfriend were down visiting my parents in Cork a few weeks ago, and he was trying to ring his ma in Dublin off the landline, and he couldn't figure out why it wasn't working until my ma dialled the number for him.. turned out he'd never made a phonecall from outside Dublin before and didn't know you had to put in an 01. Happy days..

Advertisement