Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I am going to freez my eternal harddrive!!!

Options
  • 14-01-2008 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Heres the link to what happend to my drive: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055216420&page=2
    I hear that freezing a dead drive can give it life again for a few mins.
    Right heres the plan. Im going to freeze it for a couple of hours and check if its booting up at least. If it does boot I need to get around 100gbs off it so a few mins of life cleary wont do, So I am going to try and get it working whilst its in the freezer with the freezer door slightly open to allow for the power and usb cable connect to my drive.
    Ill sit beside the freezer with my lappy and try to get the data back!!!! Am I mad? Will I blow up my freezer my laptop and possibly myself??? :eek:
    The drive is fried so I dont care about that, but if the drive blew from the condensation inside of it could it affect my lappy? Thanks in advance for the advice!

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Can you take pictures?

Pictures are fun

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

I did this with a hard drive before. Worked and all. Take the hard drive out of it's enclosure and put it in a plastic bag, with all the air in the bag removed (well as much as you can). I had mine in the freezer for two hours before using it. Got all the data off it, didn't have to cool it during the backup or anything.

Doing the backup in the freezer is a bit OTT. Just run the drive in a room that hasn't got heating on. It's not going to defrost right away.

Advertisement