Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dirty drinking glasses in hotels

Options
  • 14-01-2008 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭

Link: Don't Ever Drink From Hotel Glasses Video

A friend sent me this video about drinking glasses in American hotels. They set up hidden cameras and it shows that when the cleaning staff came, the dirty glasses were just rinsed with water and put back, or sometimes even wiped off with a dirty towel. I was pretty shocked by this, it's gross to think that the glasses in hotels might not have been properly cleaned for years. There's also a link on the page to an additional video where they recorded the same thing happening in higher-end hotels.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,917 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

This is Ireland. We [Ye] do a lot of drinking. Every hotel seems to have a kitted-out bar and they have kitted-out washing ma-thingy's [ps: yore ma has thingies]

Worked in the Dinn Ri in Carlow - every bar has at least 1 washer that can do a load of glasses in about 90 seconds: Mind the plastic though... that **** is nasty.

Cleaning them works but the rinse agent... lets go there. The rinse agent DOES run off the glass and youre left with a shiney new one, but some of the shelves the glasses are retained on will retain the water and it can get absolutely disgusting.

Also because of the way plastic cups stack (not the glasses so much but it happens occassionally) the rinse gets trapped on the way down; on the 'outside' of the cup; etc. etc.

I wouldn't mind trusting a glass but when you pick up a sticky, nasty piece of plastic you know to run.

Thats my behind the scene experience anyway. Dinn Ri in Carlow, folks. Bastards to work for too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Thoughts?
    Underpaid and overworked workers don't do their job right? Shocking.

Glasses, etc. left in a bathroom used by so many people - bad idea. Duh.

Clean your own glasses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

This reminds me of the 'spider in your mouth when asleep' myth.

If i don't wake up as it's happening, then i don't give a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

If you sit at the bar counter, you will see the staff putting dirty glasses in a machine. If its the kind of hotel/pub that wouldn't bother to wash glasses, why are you there?

100 times worse is people drinking from bottles. They've been laying in some warehouse, with god only knows what pest problems, then in a pubs/hotels stores, usually at the back of the premises again open to mice and rats running around, and people put it in their mouths???:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Couldn't give a damn.

If I get a pint glass with lipstick on it, I'll bring it back to the bar. If I don't, then I'll enjoy my pint.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Terry wrote: »
    Couldn't give a damn.

If I get a pint glass with lipstick on it, I'll bring it back to the bar. If I don't, then I'll enjoy my pint.

Terry, I would have thought you would have like the lipstick on the glass... :D

About the bottle comment above, if it come from a fridge then the condensation and a quick wipe in the sleeve and its the same as washing the bottle. ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm presuming this means the glasses in rooms not the bars? Seen the same with cups, limescale stained and everything. Be wary of a hotel using non-white cups! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,917 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yeah whoops - the hotel video is focused on the Rooms in the hotel. These staff arent being trained to bring new, clean glasses into the room; and take dirty ones out to be cleaned.

In fairness many more places have one-use disposable plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

Senna wrote: »
    If you sit at the bar counter, you will see the staff putting dirty glasses in a machine. If its the kind of hotel/pub that wouldn't bother to wash glasses, why are you there?

100 times worse is people drinking from bottles. They've been laying in some warehouse, with god only knows what pest problems, then in a pubs/hotels stores, usually at the back of the premises again open to mice and rats running around, and people put it in their mouths???:eek::eek:

Surely wiping the top of the bottle with your hand disinfects all the rat piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Karoma wrote: »
    Underpaid and overworked workers don't do their job right? Shocking.
    +1 You will find that they probably do the job better ,are more hardworking but least thought of .

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

dresden8 wrote: »
    Surely wiping the top of the bottle with your hand disinfects all the rat piss.

It does, it's a scientific fact, and if science is wrong then I don't wanna know what's right!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Terry wrote: »
    Couldn't give a damn.

+1

Worked in bars for years when younger, saw some filthy glass washing machines.

Even after that I couldn't give a fig. If there's something in/on the glass that would give you a dose, you'll taste it, the pint will be foul.
    If so, pint goes back.

Otherwise down the hatch.

Advertisement